WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Blog on failed website. Is this interesting?

foleyfoley subscriber Posts: 1
edited March 2009 in Website Critique
Hi
I had my first go at a startup about two years ago. It turned out that it was not this idea that was going to make me rich. A couple of months ago I finally pulled the plug of the website and decided to write a few words on my hard earned lessons. What was good, why it went wrong and what I`d do again next time.
There are probably no new revolutionary ideas, it just another startup gone wrong. I would be happy for any feedback on the blog. Is it interesting for others to read?http://bountybox.net/blog
Thanks a lot,
Steffen

Comments

• VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    "Changing the name of even a small application is expensive. It`s not
    only the code that needs a thorough revamp, but all marketing up to
    this point is undone, however simple and low budget: word-to-mouth,
    newsgroup postings, backlinks, search engine rank. It doesn`t matter if
    you have a big budget or not, changing the name will undo x months of
    marketing regardless of how much money/time/energy is put into it"
    Why didn`t you just link your new site names to the original site?  This way you would have paralleled your marketing efforts rather than just throw them away.
  • foleyfoley subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi Videography
    Thanks for taking a look.
    I did redirect the old names to the new ones. So I kept the visitors that would go to the old site but still I lost two very important assets:Brand recognitionSearch engine rank
    My point is that however little there was of both in absolute terms, it was the result of a full marketing campaign with my budget constraints and I had to do it (almost) all over again.