WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Case study: Double vs. Single Opt-in email signups

SolopreneurSolopreneur subscriber Posts: 2 Member
edited September 2015 in Marketing
When it comes to building an email list, should you make your visitors "double opt-in" (make them go to their inbox, open a confirmation email, and click on a link to confirm they want to be on your list)?Or is the "single opt-in" strategy the best (where they are added to your list as soon as they submit their information on your email signup form)?Double opt-in is supposed to protect you from spam complaints and develop a more responsive list. But single opt-in will build your list faster because you won't lose anyone who forgets to confirm their email or doesn't see the confirmation email.I searched for a definitive answer to that question online and wasn't able to find one.I finally set up two email lists, one of the double opt-in and the other single opt-in and got 1,000 people to join each one and then I ran some tests. Here's what I found...Subscribers:During the same time it took for my double opt-in list to gain 1,000 subscribers, my single opt-in list grew to 1,249 subscribers. So there was a full 25% more people on my email list when I didn't require a double opt-in.Open rate and click through rate:Over the course of 5 emails via autoresponder the total number of people who opened and clicked through on email links were double opt-in: 57.6% open rate, 15.6% click-through rate vs. single opt-in: 63.8% open rate, 17.0% click through rateSales:Sending out an identical sales email to each list resulted in 12 sales from my double opt-in list and 14 sales to my single opt-in list.I don't want to draw any definitive conclusions from this because most the email pros (and the email services, of course) seem to recommend double opt-in, but I wanted to run this past everybody here first to see what your thoughts are.

Comments

• jasonburtonjasonburton subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    This is mostly the standard way of sibscribing to their mailing lists, among other several ways. But the use of the linked in subscription, this is also most phishing activities started, without your knowledge clicking the link to subscribe may not be a real one but pointing t another link that might be scam or getting your digital print identity. Be vigilant when you recieve that kin of link subscription, and also thse your clients might feel the same specially if they know various illegal cyber activities. I suggest to just use the odd yet effective one.. by letting them email you and add them to your mailing lists, very much effective. Or simply get some guide from experts direct mail services like those offered at http://www.digitekprinting.com/ learning their ideas can give yu more effective ways for emailing.