Building a fully functional site on a budget

dtre309dtre309 Posts: 1subscriber

Does anyone know of any good web hosting services that are cheap and or free? I would like one thats not ad supported.
I could also use some information about any open source or inexpensive web design software that`s quick and easy to use.
Thanks for the help

Comments

• JenBJenB Posts: 2subscriber
    I use Yahoo web hosting. I know it`s not the cheapest out there, but it`s still only $13 a month, and the first few months you sign up it`s usually even cheaper.

I have used their free sitebuilder for everything (it`s a free tool you download to build your site). I also use their 24 hour customer service a lot... and I mean A LOT - LOL.

I tried their "small business" package too, but switched back to just web hosting. I didn`t like the shopping cart that you had to use, and I thought it was way over priced at $30 a month. Plain old Yahoo webhosting is working well for me as I can use paypal for my own little free shopping cart, and e-junkie for my downloads. I have been warned by Yahoo service people that you can only really have 50 paypal items in sitebuilder before it starts slowing down and causing problems. I don`t think that will be a problem though for the products I sell. However, it might or might not work for you.

Over all Google adds pay for my site costs and give me a bit more extra cash each month. Give it a try and see what you think. It`s not free, but it`s pretty cheap.

Jennie Baer

www.homeberries.com
  • Badger82Badger82 Posts: 0subscriber
    The web hosting suggestions are great. One free web design program to checkout is www.nvu.com. I`ve tried it - pretty decent.
  • VideographyVideography Posts: 6subscriber
    Ask your web host how many websites per server?  There could be dozens or hundreds of other websites on one server - that`s how they keep prices low.  If your site is on one of these shared servers, this could explain occasional slowdowns.