WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Building a fully functional site on a budget

dtre309dtre309 subscriber Posts: 1

Does anyone know of any good web hosting services that are cheap and or free? I would like one thats not ad supported.
I could also use some information about any open source or inexpensive web design software that`s quick and easy to use.
Thanks for the help

Comments

• JenBJenB subscriber Posts: 2
    I use Yahoo web hosting. I know it`s not the cheapest out there, but it`s still only $13 a month, and the first few months you sign up it`s usually even cheaper.

I have used their free sitebuilder for everything (it`s a free tool you download to build your site). I also use their 24 hour customer service a lot... and I mean A LOT - LOL.

I tried their "small business" package too, but switched back to just web hosting. I didn`t like the shopping cart that you had to use, and I thought it was way over priced at $30 a month. Plain old Yahoo webhosting is working well for me as I can use paypal for my own little free shopping cart, and e-junkie for my downloads. I have been warned by Yahoo service people that you can only really have 50 paypal items in sitebuilder before it starts slowing down and causing problems. I don`t think that will be a problem though for the products I sell. However, it might or might not work for you.

Over all Google adds pay for my site costs and give me a bit more extra cash each month. Give it a try and see what you think. It`s not free, but it`s pretty cheap.

Jennie Baer

www.homeberries.com
  • Badger82Badger82 subscriber Posts: 0
    The web hosting suggestions are great. One free web design program to checkout is www.nvu.com. I`ve tried it - pretty decent.
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Ask your web host how many websites per server?  There could be dozens or hundreds of other websites on one server - that`s how they keep prices low.  If your site is on one of these shared servers, this could explain occasional slowdowns.