WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Who else here has no cash left?

st8icst8ic subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
edited September 2008 in Thought Leadership
I saved hard and finally ended up with $20,000 to start my very own business. This is the high point in the story.
After launch came the legal fees. And the book keeping fees. Next I bought a work truck. Then I bought a little bit of stock. Realizing that I didn`t have enough left over for more stock, I had the bright idea of buying a pallet of valves and liquidating them off for some quick cash. I figured that since this is an oil town, it should be extremely easy to get rid of the valves at wholesale price. They haven`t sold yet.It`s been six months since I incorporated and all I have to show for it is an empty bank account and a big box of valves. I may be forced to borrow at ridiculous interest rates even after having saved $20,000 just to get some stock to sell.If anybody has any ideas in regards to how to sell a pallet of 3" and 4" flanged ball valves, I would love to hear them. Otherwise, some advice would be excellent. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    My advice- do not do that again! . But maybe put an add out, or sell on ebay business?Did you contact companies personally that may be in the market- even at your cost?
  • Options
    st8icst8ic subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    Thanks for the responses and especially the encouragement guys.
    Just to clarify, I ran out of cash before I could even do any advertising. The business its self was never tested, just the startup budget. I am still confident in the business and yes, I do have a plan for when it gets off the ground.The pallet contains 15 valves. I have called many many oilfield manufacturing companies, and have recieved about 25 "no`s" from purchasers. The main reason for this is because natural gas production in particular is in a downward trend right now, so nobody is building the pressure tanks and seperators that these valves would be appropriate for. I`ve also tried ebay and classifieds sites.I`m in Canada and there is no SCORE chapter here, unfortunately.