WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Software Product vs Consulting

SWRSWR subscriber Posts: 2
edited February 2007 in Business Planning
Does anyone have any input on the pros and cons of trying to write software that can be sold over the Internet, versus acting as a consultant developing business applications?It would seem that selling software over the Internet could be quite profitable, but there seems to be a lot of competition.  On the other hand, working as a consultant is limited by the number of hours I am available to spend with my clients.Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    JonEJonE subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi SWR,
    My goal is to establish a consultancy firm with a secondary product as a cash-cow.  I need to first generate funding from consulting to establish a client base and pay for the software development.
    With this type of leverage, you can fall-back on revenue generated from your cash-cow when the consulting revenue suffers a slump.
    Jon E.