WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Alice in Wonderland - Public Domain? Trademarked?

PerfumeGirlPerfumeGirl subscriber Posts: 1
edited March 2008 in Protecting Your Ideas
Hello all . 

This is my first post. I love this site and the podcast is one of my favorites! My name is Greta, I live in Dallas and I`m starting up my own fragrance company (I will be making the fragrances from scratch). I would like my first collection of fragrances to be based on "Alice in Wonderland".

I would LOVE some help with finding out whether or not "Alice in Wonderland" is public domain. The second half of "Alice in Wonderland" - "Through the Looking Glass", was first published in 1872. The author Lewis Carroll, passed away in 1898.

I`ve researched public domain and trademarking, but I`m still not sure. I also searched trademarks on the uspto.gov site, and about 10-15 trademarks for "Alice in Wonderland" showed up. That wasn`t much help, as I couldn`t decipher what I found there.

I believe Disney is currently trying to get the trademark for Alice.  Any light on the situation or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you! =D

Comments