WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

how do i keep my customer from reselling my product

oviovi subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2007 in Protecting Your Ideas
I am working on becoming a distributor in my state for a product coming in from another country ( Australia). this is a fairly new product for the trade and no one sells this product in my state. How do I keep my very own customers  from turning on me and reselling this product.     The manufacturer wants to write up a distribution agreement that benefits us both .....any ideas of how else to keep customers from reselling even from the product I sold them ......help

Comments

• Options
    stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    I am working on becoming a distributor in my state for a
    product coming in from another country ( Australia). this is a fairly
    new product for the trade and no one sells this product in my state.
    How do I keep my very own customers  from turning on me and
    reselling this product.     The manufacturer wants
    to write up a distribution agreement that benefits us both .....any
    ideas of how else to keep customers from reselling even from the
    product I sold them ......help Assuming you`re making the
    profit you desire on each unit, why not just become an importer /
    wholesaler? Sounds like that is already what is happening. Quit
    fighting it and run with it.
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    There can also be antitrust ramifications from forming an agreement which restrains trade.  I would have somebody take a hard look at any agreement.
  • Options
    rossbrossb subscriber Posts: 5
    I agree with Steve, if you`re making the profit you want, what`s the problem with someone else making a profit too?  No reason to be greedy after all, let it be a win-win...R-
  • Options
    oviovi subscriber Posts: 1
    Thank You for the reply !      I do understand that I will have no alternative than to become the US wholeseller, though this product is so trade specific and the fact it must be used precisely as indicated for the construction industry and applied as directed ........I fear that if the product is not used correctly we might get into the ....it really does`nt work well at all deal ........that is really my fear ....as far as myself letting other people do the leg work for me I`m all for it........gee what could be better     J.Paul Getty once said quote " I`d rather have 1% of the effort from each of 100 men than to expect 100 % of one man".........or something like that........thanks once again for your help ....ovi