WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Protecting a product or idea

sbrennan85sbrennan85 subscriber Posts: 2
edited October 2007 in Protecting Your Ideas
How do you protect a product that is not patentable? How would you create
barriers to entry for competitors that might knock-off your idea? I`ve
already TM the name and logo.

Comments

• Options
    txbassguytxbassguy subscriber Posts: 0
    have deep pockets for litigation.I`m not lawyer, but I don`t think you can protect a product that is not patentable. If there is not patent anyone can readily manufacture the product.The ways I know of to create barriers to entry are mass brand name recognition, advertising and more advertising. But all of this usually takes money - if the idea is good enough people will try to knock-off the idea. I can give tons of examples:Coke - Pepsi - RC ColaCreative MP3 players - Apple IpodsI would spend my time and effort getting the product to market. IMHO too many people put an emphasis on patents and trademarks and think they have the worlds best idea - and don`t focus on the marketability and determining if people really will purchase the product. But that`s my own opinion.