WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Protecting a product or idea

sbrennan85sbrennan85 subscriber Posts: 2
edited October 2007 in Business Planning
I`ve been told by my attorney that my product that I`ve developed for market
will not be able to be secured by a utility patent because of the fact that it is
existing technology just repackaged for some other use. How would i go
about protecting it at this point from fast moving competitors? I`ve already
filed a trademark application for the name.

The only thing I can think of would be to secure supply agreements with
major retailers and launch simultaneously through as many channels as I
can. Please advise. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I`ve been told by my attorney that my product that I`ve developed for market will not be able to be secured by a utility patent because of the fact that it is existing technology just repackaged for some other use. How would i go about protecting it at this point from fast moving competitors? I`ve already filed a trademark application for the name. The only thing I can think of would be to secure supply agreements with major retailers and launch simultaneously through as many channels as I can. Please advise. Thanks
    There are several ways to "protect" your IP. There are also some strategies that will provide some "barriers to entry".
    If your attorney didn`t offer any suggestions - I guess I`d get a "second" opinion from one who can/will give you some guidance. I can recommend someone - just send me a private message.

• Options
    Ralph4Ralph4 subscriber Posts: 3
    I`ve been told by my attorney that my product that I`ve developed for market will not be able to be secured by a utility patent because of the fact that it is existing technology just repackaged for some other use. How would i go about protecting it at this point from fast moving competitors? I`ve already filed a trademark application for the name. The only thing I can think of would be to secure supply agreements with major retailers and launch simultaneously through as many channels as I can. Please advise. Thanks
    There are several ways to "protect" your IP. There are also some strategies that will provide some "barriers to entry".
    If your attorney didn`t offer any suggestions - I guess I`d get a "second" opinion from one who can/will give you some guidance. I can recommend someone - just send me a private message.
     I agree with Robert.  Intellectual property laws can be very complicated and appear to be interpreted differently by different attorney`s in the field.  A second or third opinion couldn`t hurt.