Protecting a product or idea

sbrennan85sbrennan85 Posts: 2subscriber
edited October 2007 in Business Planning
I`ve been told by my attorney that my product that I`ve developed for market
will not be able to be secured by a utility patent because of the fact that it is
existing technology just repackaged for some other use. How would i go
about protecting it at this point from fast moving competitors? I`ve already
filed a trademark application for the name.

The only thing I can think of would be to secure supply agreements with
major retailers and launch simultaneously through as many channels as I
can. Please advise. Thanks

Comments

• robertjrobertj Tampa Bay, FloridaPosts: 0subscriber Member
    I`ve been told by my attorney that my product that I`ve developed for market will not be able to be secured by a utility patent because of the fact that it is existing technology just repackaged for some other use. How would i go about protecting it at this point from fast moving competitors? I`ve already filed a trademark application for the name. The only thing I can think of would be to secure supply agreements with major retailers and launch simultaneously through as many channels as I can. Please advise. Thanks
    There are several ways to "protect" your IP. There are also some strategies that will provide some "barriers to entry".
    If your attorney didn`t offer any suggestions - I guess I`d get a "second" opinion from one who can/will give you some guidance. I can recommend someone - just send me a private message.

• Ralph4Ralph4 Posts: 3subscriber
    I`ve been told by my attorney that my product that I`ve developed for market will not be able to be secured by a utility patent because of the fact that it is existing technology just repackaged for some other use. How would i go about protecting it at this point from fast moving competitors? I`ve already filed a trademark application for the name. The only thing I can think of would be to secure supply agreements with major retailers and launch simultaneously through as many channels as I can. Please advise. Thanks
    There are several ways to "protect" your IP. There are also some strategies that will provide some "barriers to entry".
    If your attorney didn`t offer any suggestions - I guess I`d get a "second" opinion from one who can/will give you some guidance. I can recommend someone - just send me a private message.
     I agree with Robert.  Intellectual property laws can be very complicated and appear to be interpreted differently by different attorney`s in the field.  A second or third opinion couldn`t hurt.