WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Do I need a patent if my invention is for my own use?

stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
edited December 2006 in Protecting Your Ideas
I have a question for the patent attorneys. (I hope you guys have
gotten some business from all the free advice you give here. One of
these days I`ll hire one of you, I promise =)

Do I need to be concerned about existing patents if I use something I develop only for my own business?

Comments

• Innovator7Innovator7 subscriber Posts: 9
    You need to be concern about infringing existing patents.  If the owners discovered you`re applying their patents, they can go after you for royalty.If you develop a process that is patentable, you can do nothing and risk losing some potential royalty, or can apply for a patent to collect potential royalty, that is, if someone is willing to pay for it to use your invention.
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    Yes, patent infringement is expensive and complicated.  It is an act of patent infringement to make or use or sell or import.  A patent attorney can give you an opinion regarding patent infringement  - usually on their standard hourly rate [which means you pay for the amount of time it takes].   Cost?  You pay for the amount of time it takes.  Approximate Cost?  You pay for the amount of time it takes.