WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

(Untitled)

misterwicks2006misterwicks2006 subscriber Posts: 11
edited June 2006 in Thought Leadership
Subject: Free `How-to` Information
It may appear that I`ve been posting a lot of topics on this board recently and that is correct! For months I`ve been wanting to find a forum of this brand - and the subjects are piled up in my intellect. I hope I haven`t board anyone. There is one more thing I would like to discuss! That is the usage of big names and `how-to` references in forum submissions.
Many people believe that a `how-to` person is a character of certainy. I won`t list any particular authors here (to save myself from libel). But, I hope to provide you with some warning about that kind of stuff.
Did you know that `how-to` is a product? Just like a car or any other product made? When you purchase a car - the auto. company makes a profit - and that`s why they are in biz (period). It`s the same with `how-to` industry, goal of making a profit by getting your hard earned dollars.
CanI make a suggestion: `How to make a quick fortune` by Tye Hicks - in this book he suggest that you create `how-to` for profits and recognition.
There are couple of problems with `how-to` - when you use this material given, you become an `emulator` (instead of an originator) and the complexity is a major obsticle, too!
Can you really believe that if I read a `Bill Gates` book and applied his knowledge in my life - things are better? How can you really believe my life would improve?
Recently, I heard that Mr. Palmer of Microsoft said that their applications needed more gadgets and buttons(kind of - this ain`t a quote - you get the point!).
If I listened to Mr. Palmer and Microsoft`s `how-to` philosopy than I would go out and buy MS Office, right!(put it on my credit card/ plastic words, money and product)? However, I recently acquired Open Office (Suns Microsytems office app.)for free! over the internet(dam good!) and saved hundreds of dollars not going with M.S. Suite(but according to MS their suite is better -because it has more bells and whistles - Got it?). Would I really have gained from buying M.S. over the Free version with less? When would I really made/saved more with Gates app.? 3-Months? 6-Months?
I can apply the money saved, and free! app. NOW!! in my business!!I am a startup biz and don`t believe that their suggestion would do me much good!! So much for Palmer`s How-to! He doesn`t know my situation, and to apply his (or anyone elses advice is complex) knowledge under my circumstances isn`t helpful(maybe down the road - i`ll buy!).(another eg.)I read a book by Napolean Hill and Clement Stone - sounded wonderful, but six months later I had difficaulty with it(Why?). And, if I took that attitude to my Catholic College for argumentation, it would take weeks/ months to see if it would help me with anything(I must accept it as clever sound bites until proven!!).
CanI say this - Napoleon Hill said in Think and Grow Rich -  `You have a mind and brain of your own, use it` - I believe he was correct.
My Free `How-to`: Please Don`t let `How-to` authors rule your spiritual estate!! Use this website forum for help instead!!

Comments

• keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    You`re a hoot Mr. Wicks!
    Napoleon Hill, a great man and historian of many a great man, also said:
    "The starting point of all achievement is desire. Keep this constantly in mind. Weak desires bring weak results, just as a small amount of fire makes a small amount of heat."
    R@
  • misterwicks2006misterwicks2006 subscriber Posts: 11
    during the early days of civilization people built fires to stay warm, but natural conditions of wind and rain kept them longing for more outcome - you can deduce this from stories of the great wars, such as George Washington`s historic battles around Valley Forge. Eventually, `man& will resolve a problem - I believe.
    Yes, what my dictionary says about desire: `To wish or long for; want.` I guess Mr. Hill was around before I was a baby!! Good Point. Thanks.
    D@
    p.s. I wish that Encyclopias would recognize `Hill` as they did Stone, Carnigie and Washington. Not an entry.