WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

toronto biz

PiratePirate subscriber Posts: 3
edited May 2007 in Selecting a Business
Hello,
I live in Toronto, Canada. I recently joined this forum and have been very pleased with the amount of help people are willing to provide each other.
I plan to start a kiosk/rolling cart business selling kernels(corn). I would steam the corn kernels on the spot. I would sell those kernels in three portions (eg. $1.99,$2.99,$3.50). There will be several seasonings(10 different flavours in form of a powder, e.g. barbecue, salt & vinegar, salt) available to customer so they can customise their cup of kernels. My target locations would be Subway/Metro stations, playgrounds, concerts, and occasional events.
I am very skeptical before making any move because it is a new idea. Please tell me how good is this business idea?.Please help with your honest recommendations!
I appreciate all comments.ThankyouPirate2007-5-2 11:10:44

Comments

• Options
    InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    Strange idea that`s for sure. Is this a franchise? If so they should have sales figures available for you. If not ... I really don`t know what to say about the quality of the idea. Personally I wouldn`t buy seasoned, steamed corn [ on the cob?? ] from a street vendor.
  • Options
    Well,
    It is not a franchise. It is my own personal idea. I dont have any figures for the financial statement. I just wanted to know how viable this business would be? As fas as the regulations are concercened I can get the proper certification done.
    And no, kernel are not popcorns!
  • Options
    LBstartupLBstartup subscriber Posts: 1
    A few years ago I was at a  Victoria Day community party in a Brampton Park, and a vendor had a , well, I guess it was a steam machine of some sorts, or possibly a roaster... it was large and on a cart anyhow. It looked like a little hut! They steamed (or somehow cooked) the corn on the cob,  with the husk still on, but the corn was pre-seasoned with pepper , salt and butter, if you wanted it that way. It tasted so good , and the line-up was huge. So, you could be on to something. Check out your competition in the Metro area!< ="text/">_popupControl();
  • Options
    SJTySJTy subscriber Posts: 0
    I love the idea!  I think you should absolutely pursue it.  I agree - check out health codes, etc.  Important - but easily accomplished.  And these codes will vary by city.  Just build that due diligence into your plan - don`t let it scare you.
  • Options
    Any more opinions from members?