WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Sales Tax on Internet Purchases

rvdebbyrvdebby subscriber Posts: 11
edited March 2007 in Sales
Washington State has just passed a bill that will require all catalog and internet businesses to pay sales tax on sales to it`s residents. The news story that I watched said that it would be joining other states that already collect taxes? The story did not say which states those are (21 of them) or how a business should address this issue? Does anyone know?
Is there a place to get a national list of state taxes? It almost seems easier to just not sell to these states.
http://www.komotv.com/news/local/6650347.html</A>

Comments

• Options
    smurph05smurph05 subscriber Posts: 2
    My biggest question is how would they track internet sales made to their residents? If I sell you a widget, I keep the records on my computer and report them to my state gov. There is no way for the state of Washington to find out that I sold the widget to you. From what I understand, there is rumor of a bill introduced to congress a couple of years ago I think, that would have made collecting internet sales tax a national program. I do not know if this bill is still alive of if it has been defeated, your congressperson should know. 
  • Options
    sydni212sydni212 subscriber Posts: 0
    The state of texas requires online stores to collect taxes from texas residents. Every 4 months one has to file taxes. If you don`t file, they assign an arbitrary amount for you to pay.