WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Implementing Memebership Capabilites to my Site

RussRobRussRob subscriber Posts: 2
Hi Everyone,

I had a few questions that somebody could probably help me with, I planning to start a business-to-business website, My Company will create an Internet network environment for small and medium sized companies in developing business relationship between one another. To keep it simple, it’s going to be like a Business network site.   I’m in the process of developing the website, and I want to implement membership capabilities such as, having member register, personalizing they profiles with their company details and have a place where they could post to an online catalogue. Kind of like a forum. Does anyone know of a membership platforms that offer these types of capabilities? And if so, Can I implement this type of platform after my website has been created, or does it have to be implemented when creating the site?

Thanks
RussRob  

Comments

• JmesJmes subscriber Posts: 4
    I think you`re more likely to be happier about it if you design it yourself, from the start
    Remember that existing platform might have features you don`t want, and sometimes can`t disable, and sometimes won`t include features you DO want, and wouldn`t be able to add
    Jmes
  • WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    You can find free/low cost membership scripts online .... some knowledge of the scripting language you`re using will help make it easier to get it implemented into your site. What you actually do depends on your design knowledge, your ability to learn the basics, comfort level, etc.
    One project I`m tinkering with, I have implemented a membership system, a basic forum, and a private messaging system .... these were not originally created as one overall system, but instead are basic scripts which can be used together with a little know how .... if a full CMS or blog or something isn`t practical, it is possible to add individual systems together to create the site you need.Webline1/14/2009 6:49 AM
  • RussRobRussRob subscriber Posts: 2
    Thanks for the suggestions. I really do appreicate it.

Rusty 
  • WaterswebWatersweb subscriber Posts: 0
    Wordpress has membership plugins, including the Wishlist membership plugin. Wordpress is much simpler and easier to use than Drupal or Joomla.
    If you`re looking for  more of a forum style membership site, then there is no better script than vBulletin. I`ve worked with it for the past six years (while trying other forum software off and on) and am thoroughly impressed with the support, community and quality of the script itself.
    You might also consider looking into membership scripts such as Amember, as well.Watersweb1/27/2009 1:44 AM