WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Selling to QVC and HSN -- please share your experience

VitoriaVitoria subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2008 in Marketing
As a newbie I have reviewed some of your posts and really appreciate the insight and guidance you have provided.  I work with gold-filled jewelry with natural stones. I have some questions and I am hoping someone can address such questions:

1. Will HSN and QVC deal with sales reps or only directly with the manufacturer?
2. How is payment made -- will they pay a percentage at the time an order is placed or only after the products sell?
3. What is the minimum number of each item that they buy? 1,000 or 10,000?
4. Is it ever a bad deal to sell to HSN and QVC?

Any information that you could provide will be truly appreciated, thank you!!

Comments

• VitoriaVitoria subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi Travis, thank you for you kind response. I had already reviewed the QVC website and it didnt address my concerns...is there any additional insight you can provide, please?
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Hi Travis, thank you for you kind response. I had already reviewed the QVC website and it didnt address my concerns...is there any additional insight you can provide, please?

You gotta dig a bit for the info.  It`s there.  Just look for Vendor information at the bottom of the home page.
  • VitoriaVitoria subscriber Posts: 1
    Thank you for those of you who wrote in response to my query. I am referring to Sales in the US and not in Europe.  Any further insight will be much appreciated.
  • mattsindmattsind subscriber Posts: 0
    Thank you for those of you who wrote in response to my query. I am referring to Sales in the US and not in Europe.  Any further insight will be much appreciated.

I am not familiar with doing business with HSN/QVC, only as a consumer.
    However, I recall that QVC has certain events where they allow potential manufacturers and businesses with products to showcase and demonstrate their products.
    Perhaps, you should contact them via email and specifically ask for the process they use to review potential products for their business.
    Hope they information is helpful.
    Don`t give up.  When one way doesn`t work, try another.
  • mainmain subscriber Posts: 0
    Vitoria:

I own a marketing company that puts talent and products on QVC.  I would be happy to speak with you about getting your product on as well.  Check out our website:  www.mainstreettalent.com.  Good luck.

Mary Beth
  • Ron88Ron88 subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi
    We are a manufacturers rep company who sells to QVC and HSN, so yes they buy from reps.

They normally buy the first order or two  and hold payment to see if the product will sell ....then after that will normally pay on terms that you set up with them.

As far as quantities go, every product is different with opening quantities as low as 500 pc on very costly items to 2000 or 3000 pc on others but I must say that there is no standard..........it can change with the buyer, the product, time of year and health of the market......

We can be reached at www.BuffSales.com for more information.

Ron Buff
  • mainmain subscriber Posts: 0
    We are vendor reps for QVC only.  If you get an item on QVC they do not hold payment like the previous person said.  They hold a small amount for returns but you will be paid within a month of the airing. 

We represent owner/inventors of products and introduce their items to the QVC buyers.  It can be difficult to get an appointment with a buyer without a vendor rep.  Even after the meeting the QA, packaging, shipping and labeling process can be difficult so it helps to have someone holding your hand who knows all of the ins and outs. 

I would be happy to set the record straight for anyone with questions about QVC.  You can checkout our website at www.mainstreettalent.com.

Good luck.

Mary Beth
    Owner
    Main Street Talent & Marketing
    610-873-2335