WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Website Pet Peeves - what annoys you most?

Comments

• Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Brian - it`s sometimes necessary to make your page a graphic for two reasons.  You may not want your site examined by `bots and you may not want your text easily copied.  My site falls into that first category.  I am a videographer and some of my productions are of schoolchildren in singing or dancing performances, and I don`t want a web bot to be able to find them or their school on my site, but I want the parents to be able to order DVDs.  So, those parts of the site are graphic cut-outs.But I agree that the page designer should test the page with "over-40" eyes on a high-resolution (I.E. tiny print) screen.
  • Options
    digitalvision313digitalvision313 subscriber Posts: 3
    Videography,You also should think about a robots.txt file to exclude the pages, if you want another level of protection (they`re not foolproof, but they really help) - I deal with schools also and we have the same issue with video and photos.  The policy we have is that if there is a picture, no last name or initial, if there is a last name or initial, no picture; also, we`ll do a little photoshop to blur faces on smaller images.  Sometimes, like meetings that are public record, you have no choice but to allow it, but that doesn`t seem to be your issue.I love the name!  MannMade Digital Video - that`s an awesome play on words.  Sometime I`d love to hear what you think about using those Sony HDs in the field.
  • Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Videography,You also should think about a robots.txt file to exclude the pages, if you want another level of protection (they`re not foolproof, but they really help) - I deal with schools also and we have the same issue with video and photos.  I already do use a "robots.txt" file for the honest `bots, it`s the rude `bots that ignore the "robots.txt" file that I am concerned with.  In addition to the videos, parents can order headshots as well as performance photos from my site, so the kids` names and schools are kind of  necessary, along with the proofs.On the name - thanks.  I got the idea from Peter Stark - Stark Realities.  But, I have been having a dickens of a time coming up with a logo that I like and doesn`t look like someone just threw some clip art at the name.
  • Options
    Complete correlation.  I know I`m good when I ask the client on the initial meeting for "a copy of all your print or other marketing materials" and a two-pound box shows up at my door in a couple days (true story).  Usually, then, it`s just a matter of re-wrangling everything for the web.I find that more and more we`re doing brochures, collateral, etc. because small and midsized businesses like going to one shop for everything and we usually have pretty good ideas.  That`s why when we design sites, I try to always include a stylesheet with not only web colours but PMS as well if there is no previous stylesheet; and half the time we end up doing other materials for them as well based off of the look `n feel we create so we`re always aware that what we do is going to be used again and again.  We`ve been toying with the idea of saying we`re a "mini-agency" as many times that`s what really occurs in practice.  The problem is, like-minded people are hard to find (especially in our metro); and agency vets aren`t a great use because alot of them are used to working with minimum budgets of say $50 or $100k and very few traditional agency people (locally) have any clue how the web works and are extremely gunshy about spending money.
  • Options
    rossbrossb subscriber Posts: 5

...From what I`m reading, it sounds as if the big problem with Web design
    is maybe the vision....the mission statement? It seems as if designers
    are selling themselves more as carpenters and interior decorators,
    helping to put together an electronic store. But what if they`re in
    fact, exactly what Digitalvision is saying, a new type of ad agency?...
    ...Today`s ad agencies look at a Web site as a secondary form of
    marketing. Isn`t it actually becoming the primary tree-trunk of the
    entire market campaign? What`s wrong with the Web agency being the
    primary contractor, then sub-contracting various tasks like logo
    design, print-media and collaterals, radio-TV-Podcasting, and
    everything?

Instead of showing up as a "little guy," being the sub-contractor for
    what sounds like it`s being called an "after-thought" to many companies, why not
    re-invent the entire process and market yourself (selves) as a Web
    Development Marketing & Advertising Agency?...Craig -This is actually a great thought.  I think it`s a little ahead of the market, unfortunately.  It`s amazing to me how hard it still is to convince some businesses that spending money on a market appropriate website should at least be one of the cornerstone methods for communicating with their customer base.Thanks for the input, I`m interested to hear what other people think about your epiphany...R-
  • Options
    Great observations all around!From my experience, it IS a little ahead of the market.  I gave it a go with some test marketing, but it`s hard at this stage because a lot of the decision makers aren`t familiar with the web so they`re wary.  However, if one could time it, then they could knock it out of the park.  What`s great is, theres` enough work out there for way more than one company!My change to "The Epiphany" (as I shall affectionately call it) is that it`s not THE primary tree trunk but A primary tree trunk at this current stage - many agencies do not value it the same as Radio, TV, Print or Outdoor, when it should be equal at this stage (and it could surpass eventually).
  • Options
    BluPantherBluPanther subscriber Posts: 5
    Sites that use popups, popunders, or any advertising that scrolls / blocks the actual content.

AMEN!  I usually have a reason for going on these sites and don`t have time to sit and block pop-ups that have bypassed my pop-up blocker!
  • Options
    There are some great services (one of which my friend is the marketing director at) that do that kind of work with translation to make it a real match between english and the target language.  It`s soooo key when hitting foreign markets.As much as it`s annoying here and is off-putting... imagine the reverse in a foreign country!And as to content, I agree!  However, being in the trenches, most companies don`t value web content at all.  They just don`t think it`s valuable or worth it to spend the time or money on it, and then wonder why their site doesn`t work for them.Businesses regularly squander the amazing opportunity, Tikki, to speak directly to you when they`re at your site.  It`s very, very commonplace.
  • Options
    MrbusinessMrbusiness subscriber Posts: 8
    Pages that don`t have return buttons.  Navigation is key!
  • Options
    MCSnowMCSnow subscriber Posts: 1
    Wow, some great things to look out for! I`m am guilty of more than a few...
    I have a question, though. You all have made your point about Microsoft Frontpage but I`m afraid that`s the program I used for my site. As someone who has only put together my own site, (the first attempt being in WORD, LOL) what *is* the better program that will not break the bank? I love my site and am only thinking of changing the *way* it`s coded plus implementing some of your aforementioned suggestions, not the design. Thoughts?MCSnow2/6/2008 6:35 PM
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Wow, some great things to look out for! I`m am guilty of more than a few...
    I have a question, though. You all have made your point about Microsoft Frontpage but I`m afraid that`s the program I used for my site. As someone who has only put together my own site, (the first attempt being in WORD, LOL) what *is* the better program that will not break the bank? I love my site and am only thinking of changing the *way* it`s coded plus implementing some of your aforementioned suggestions, not the design. Thoughts?

FrontPage (now "expressions") like any other piece of software is a tool. It is not basically a bad tool but can produce extra code if you use some of the "bells and whistles". Expressions and the last version of FP are both more CSS friendly.

I would not toss FP out the door. Just be aware of what you producing (html code) and FP will work fine.

~Roland
  • Options
    MCSnowMCSnow subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks, Craig! I love the mozilla guys. I`ll definitely check that out.
    Roland, I have FP `97 (lol) so I doubt it`s very up to date on code issues. Not that I`d know what I`m looking for anyway. I appreciate your message!
  • Options
    buggrepbuggrep subscriber Posts: 3
    website with lots of graphics that are not conveying any true value to the site. What most people don`t understand is that website is supposed to have a clear message that goes straight to the point. All lot of people fail to do that and as a result users just go away after 2 seconds from seeign your website.
  • Options
    jayme28jayme28 subscriber Posts: 3
    I really appreciate all your comments about annoying websites.  I am starting to work with a freelance designer right now to construct an e-commerce site.  He really wants to do Flash. After reading your comments, I have decided this is not a good idea.  I am having trouble organizing what needs to come first, next, etc.  I don`t want to frustrate my designer in this process. Is there a step by step process to how websites are designed? I have a person in mind to do my copywriting.  Does my designer need this before he works on the graphics, site map, and page layouts?  I don`t want to have to depend on my designer, programmer and copywriter to make every change to my website.  I need help!
  • Options
    WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    I posted several thing on my blog about how to ruin a website. http://michianawebline.com/wordpress/index.phpAnd why is it I can never get clickable links to show up in my posts?