WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Banner Advertising -- (Pay-per-sale ok??)

VictorydVictoryd subscriber Posts: 2
edited September 2007 in Marketing
Hi all,

Comments

• Options
    JoeJustinJoeJustin subscriber Posts: 1
    Victor,The pay per click model is the fastest way to be visible and to get paying customers.  It is a great short term strategy.  However, It`s also possible to spend you entire months budget in a matter of minutes.  So you have to be careful who you choose to go with as far as pay per click. As far as the banner advertising and the pay per sale advertising, the company you go with will usually have their own scripts to track the sales that come from their banner or affiliate tracking.  However there can be problems with this as well.  Some of them require that you fund an account with a minimum amount of money.  The amount varies from company to company.  Having worked at a couple of these companies, the price was $500.00 for one company and $2500.00 for another.  The average cost per customer was 20% on each sale.The other thing you have to worry about is click fraud.  Click fraud can and will happen with all forms of pay per click models.  The question you have to ask is what type of fail safes does the company have for this problem.  I have used companies where I spent my entire $1000.00 budget on a tier two search engine in 3 minutes.  It took a month and a half of complaining, daily calls and threatened law suites, etc before they refunded half of the money.On the other hand one of the better tier two search engines that I have used is 7 search.  They do a very good job at preventing click fraud.  there have been times when I left for the day when my account showed $1500.00 left in my account, only to return the next day to have $1650.00 the following morning.Here`s a link you can view that has an article about click fraud and their top ten Pay per click search engines.http://www.payperclicksearchengines.com/You also want ot have a long term strategy for your marketing.  AS I mentioned previously, you want a strategy that keeps on working even when you campaign is finished.I hope this helps shed some light on this.  Best of luck!
  • Options
    RetiredMember2RetiredMember2 subscriber Posts: 0
    What kind of business are you doing?
  • Options
    online retail e-commerce site directed to small businesses.
  • Options
    RetiredMember2RetiredMember2 subscriber Posts: 0
    Okay is this a secret business?
    I really don`t think you are going to be able to get solid comments if you are so generic in what you are trying to accomplish.
  • Options
    Ha! Well if you must know, please click on my profile, my website is on there. We retail software. Thanks Rob! and Thanks Joe!
    Also, I took a look at the startupnation.com agreements and it looks like they only do CPM agreements. I am starting to wonder if anyone has ever done pay-per-sale on banner ads...anybody ever heard of that?
    Thanks guys!
  • Options
    JoeJustinJoeJustin subscriber Posts: 1
    Victor,You may want to check with commission junction.  I know at one point the use to do it.  Not sure if they still do.  commissionjunction.com.Best of Luck!
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks nghnikole! you guys have helped me put stuff in perspective.