WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

can I use the LLC model to avoid having employees?

robert4seattlerobert4seattle subscriber Posts: 1
edited June 2008 in Selecting a Business
I`ve have a small service business and also had an employee or two.  I hated it and learned that it`s not worth having employees unless you have enough of them.  The amount of work and costs and regulations that you have to follow with employees just isn`t worth it for me to run a business with just a couple of employees.   I would love to have a decent amount of people working the business at some time, but would like to grow into that as the businesss expands.  So that`s just a short overview of my experiance.  But here`s the real question.  CAN I USE THE LLC MODEL TO AVOID HAVING EMPLOYEES?  So each new member is also the team member that does the work out on the field.  They would be a part of the business as a member having right to vote and guide the business but at the same time they would do the work.  From what I`ve read I think this can work but I`m just not sure.  Overall I think this model would clear up some of the headaches with having additional people as employees.  At the same time it would give the people working a sense of being part of the company instead of just "worker bees".  Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    KevDevKevDev subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    I`m wondering if you aren`t stretching the LLC concept past it`s breaking point here. It isn`t that what you are suggesting is wrong or illegal (as far as I know - I`m not an attorney), but I`d be concerned that you would just be trading one set of headaches for another.
    For example, let`s say you bring on two additional members, then things get tight, and you need to let one go, except you can`t because they out-vote you! To get around this, you would need a very well constructed partnership agreement, which would have to be created in cooperation with an attorney... you see where I`m going? Trading one headache for another.
    Even though having employees can be a pain, at least hiring, firing, and paying are all legally well defined.
    I`ll be interested to hear what you decide. Good luck!