WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Critiquing Facebook`s new website practice

RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
edited November 2007 in Website Critique
if you haven`t read about it already, Facebook is breaking new ground with their "Beacon" feature that associates purchases with purchases and creates member endorsements alongside ads.

here`s a press release that describes the service: http://www.facebook.com/business/?beacon

what do you think of this? getting on your "privacy" nerves? a good service to consumers trying to make smart purchasing decisions?

i`ll be commenting on this on Fox Business News tonight on Scoreboard if you`re in front of the boob tube...

Comments

• Options
    abrummsabrumms subscriber Posts: 6
    argh!  Facebook should stick to exactly what it started as A DIGITAL YEAR BOOK!  I`m pretty sure they`re biting off quite a bit with this.  I`m already sick of all of the "invitations" to do this or that that I get.  Now I have MORE notifications?  For crying out loud!Plus, I`m not endorsing anything unless I`m gonna get a little sumphin sumphin out of the deal   SHOW ME THE MONEY facebook! ( Just kidding)
  • Options
    actually, abrumms, you should get a little sumthin...

what we`ve been contemplating is a feature here whereby you receive affiliate revenue when someone clicks on "recommended" service providers that you use and endorse. unlike the Facebook system, this would require you to actively add recommended service providers.

rich
  • Options
    CoveredBridgeCellarsCoveredBridgeCellars subscriber Posts: 4
    Looks like FB is bagging Beacon:
    h/

• Options
    thanks! great find! this is exactly what facebook did a while back with a previously released feature... you`d think they`d feel these new offerings out with a test group instead of pushing things out cold...
  • Options
    I`m tired of HAVING to opt out... That`s the problem.  I`m not sure if you`re a Facebook user but it`s become almost as bad as Myspace with all of the junk "notifications" you get.  It almost makes you not want to even visit the site anymore.  Now I`d be interested to see, if they implemented Beacon, what the traffic for the site would look like.... would it falter? increase?  Just interested.Aaron
  • Options
    p.s. I don`t want my checkout counter convo to go global.  That takes all the spontaneity out of it.Aaorn