WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How to register online business with ad revenue business model?

whateverittakes85whateverittakes85 subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2009 in Grab Bag
Hi!
I am starting a website where I post random questions and people answer them.  I want to make money through ad revenue and eventually add an online store that sells t-shirts through Cafepress.com.  (Cafepress allows you to create an online store by just uploading your design and they will print it on the t-shirt and ship it out for you.)  Do I need to register this as a formal business? If so, what kind of business..(LLC)?  How do I go about it? I live in Maryland.
Thanks!

Comments

• MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    The absolute minimum you should do is apply for a business license with your state (in your case, Maryland). You state website can always give you more information on that. If you are collecting sales tax on the products you are selling, depending on the state, you might need a vendor license. Again, your state website (and/or your accountant or attorney) can give you more information on the specifics.
    As for what type of business to form? It is a toss up between an S-Corp and an LLC. There really isn`t much of a difference between the benefits of the two. Some would argue that an LLC would be better if there is more than one owner.
  • LSnyderLSnyder subscriber Posts: 0

I work for an attorney who specializes in web based businesses.  He offers a free 1/2 hour consultation and can answer any questions you may have as well as assist you if needed in continuing your business (for a fee of course).
    Here is his website: www.informationlaw.com
    His name is Daniel A. Pepper, Esq.
    Give me a call at the office and I can set you up with that free consultation, we do consults over the phone, too. 
    Good Luck!
    Lisa
  • whateverittakes85whateverittakes85 subscriber Posts: 1
    Thank you so much for your replies!  I will look on my state website and I will definitely give you a call Lisa to set up the consultation.  What a great resource!!