WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Right Way to Sell Listings on a Site?

RM325RM325 subscriber Posts: 1
edited October 2008 in Sales
Hi everyone. I`ve finished building my first website and am finally ready to accept listings from businesses. It`s a site where wedding-type vendors are reviewed and listed. I`ve read here that the best technique is to place a call, ask for the owner or business decision maker, then briefly describe what we do and send something in the mail.

1. Is it really necessary to send something when I`ve got the website? All the questions potential advertisers could have are asked and answered in a section just for them. Also, I`m bootstrapping so is printing up and mailing materials really worth it? Could I just send PDFs or does there need to be a physical thing sitting on someone`s desk?

2. Is it really necessary to show up in person to try to close the deal? Problem is: I can describe the site and its benefits in great detail but I don`t have the aggressive personality needed to close a deal. Nor can I afford to hire a sales person, unless he/she wants to work on commission only. Also, we`re aiming at small businesses around the country so me travelling around is not an option.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    Hi! Digatal media is very acceptable and actually a lot of times preferred. Make sure you create a high quality marketing piece that clearly explains the benefits to the prospective clients!! We use Go to meeting ALL the time and dimdim meetings are the same and free. I use central desktop and they also offer online meetings.

Erin