WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

S.O.S. on my SEO!

Comments

• CoachDebCoachDeb subscriber Posts: 0
    ok seth, even though it bugs me out every time I read your sig  I`m going to give you TOP rating b/c you ask GREAT questions! And just for admiting you need SEO help - you generated a great forum thread.So - to answer your question of what the difference is between a forum and a blog:A.  Many, many thingsB. Starting with SEO - SE spiders LOVE Web sites that are build on RSS technology (AKA: a blog) C. SE spiders LOVE fresh content - (so when you post an article a day - or 3 a week, they`ll keep returning to your blog with greater frequency to see what else ya` got for them to put at the top of their results for your keywordsD. Forums are lovely - but not attractive to ARTICLE directories. I can`t tell you how many times I`ve googled my name, and found that yet another newsletter, magazine, or trade publication have picked up another one of my blog posts (articles) and published them. (I give permission at the bottom of every post - provided they include my Web site address and contact info.)E. Which then leads us to... more inbound linksbottom line on that ... the more you got `em - the more the spiders love you and rank you higher and higher than your creepy competitorsF. As for the DIFFERENCE between a forum and a blog... well... what we`re on right now.. is a public forum. anyone can pose a question, and anyone can put their two cents in. A blog is authored by YOU only (unless you partner with people and put them on as contributors) then the general public can COMMENT on YOUR post, but ultimately, you get the ranking, the SEO, and the keyword relavancy, b/c of the reasons listed above. I`m new to this forum, but hopefully this link will show up - as it`ll direct you to a blog post that will give you a visual picture and explanation of the difference between forums, and blogsAloha!Coach DebAdvanced Business Blogging Tips
  • FreshYieldsFreshYields subscriber Posts: 0
    Seth,Blogs are more article based, with comments allowed for each article.  Forums are thread based, and are structured a bit different.Coach Deb reiterates some of the points Chuck and I have been making.  Properly linked keywords in blog articles is a great internet marketing technique.  As for an example, check out this link on Ice.com`s blog sites.One thing though, search engines don`t love blog sites built on rss technology just because they syndicate through feeds.  It`s more the fresh content, xhtml code base (no bloat), and the internal linking bloggers tend to use in articles.
  • SethSeth subscriber Posts: 2
    Steve James and Coach Deb - you are the best!
    Awesome information. Anyone not seeing these posts are really missing out. I have already put your suggestions into motion and you have made things clear and easy to understand for a non-techie like me. Now, do you have any questions regarding bugs? Recycling with worms? I am at your service   
  • CoachDebCoachDeb subscriber Posts: 0
    LOL - now THAT would be a recycling program at its best (and one I`ll admitedly never implement) hey - maybe you can figure out a way to put the termites to work at recyling all the garbage in the world. make those buggars useful for once!Thanks so much for taking a moment to give us such great feedback Seth. And for the opportunity to help and share our expertise. it`s people like you who encourage us to continue dispelling our expertise in the area with others. Now you`ve earned yourself a GIFT! We`ve got a report we no longer give away, but I`ll send it to you if you`d like to really get your brain thinking of all the ways you can use blogging to help your business. Just PM me, and I`ll get it over to ya. Reference the report: "21 Ways to Boost your Business with Business Blogs"(PS:  sorry I missed your call yesterday - being 6 hours behind has some disadvantages... hopefully we can catch you after the holiday.)Aloha!Coach Deb
    You are all awesome! I took your ideas, suggestions, and ran with them. Okay, I crawled, then got up, stumbled, and I am starting to walk now - but I`m now moving!
    My SEO got he SOS I needed thanks to you! I am slowly getting closer to the top of the list and in some cases (mostly MSN and Yahoo search) I am on the first page and even #1 on some keywords.
    I just started a blog, www.SpiderMilk.com</A> per FreshYield`s and Coach Deb`s suggestions - thank you and thank you Chuck and all you SUNsational people!
    Anyone want to optimize their website? Just read and follow the suggestions above.

• ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    That`s outstanding Seth, I`m really happy to hear that.  Keep plugging away at it, there`s always more things to improve, and keep us informed on your progress!
  • truegeniustruegenius subscriber Posts: 3
    What a fantastic thread.  Thanks for starting it creepy, crawly, Seth.  It`s been extremely helpful to me. 
    My site launches on Friday and I`m still trying learn all about this SEO business for organic ranking.  My web designer assures me he`s pretty good at it, but I need to edumicate myself on it.  Though some of this is a little Chinese to me, you`ve all provided some really excellent examples and direction to help steer me in a more clear direction.  I didn`t even know the right questions to ask until reading through this.  Everyone starting out with an online business should read this.  Thanks to you all.  You rock!
    Tammytruegenius2006-10-2 1:42:40
    OMG! I don`t know where to start. First of all you are all so kind to spend the time to look this deeply into my website. Craig and Donerdesign...wow. I wished I hadn`t had the website built without first consulting with you both. I am taking all this information and these priceless suggestions and will implement them very soon. 
    About the same time I started this post I submitted my webiste to a magazine for online businesses called Practical E-Commerce. They have a monthly article called SEO Report Card written by Stephan Spencer of NetConcepts. My website was chosen and www.CoolBugStuff.com</A> will be graded in November`s issue. Based on all your comments I am expecting a D- but I will learn and grow because of all the feedback. Thank you.
    Tammy, you are very lucky to have this information, from these great minds, at the start of your website. Good luck to you!
    Well, as always...Have a Creepy Crawly Day!
    Seth, Bugmaster  
    Absolutely. I can`t wait for the article to come out. I will post the link to the report the day it arrives.
    Seth 
  • kerriankerrian subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Seth,
    It is a tough job to do search engine optimization. Somehow if I can help U to get your website to the top 30 in Yahoo & MSN, do U interested?
    Drop me an email, I will show U some samples.
    KerrianEmail: ask@businessnet2u.com</A>
    13/Oct/2006  9:49pm (GMT +8:00)
  • ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    Hi Kerrian, welcome to StartupNation.  Could you possibly provide any further details about the specific nature of your business offering.  Not to cast aspersions on any business, but your site, businessnet2u.com, doesn`t show up in the top results for your primary keyphrase `web traffic generator` on either Yahoo or Google.It`s simply that this area of marketing is open to a wide range of offerings, and it would be helpful to our community if you could provide some more detailed justifications for the claims on your web page in a broader setting than an individual email.
  • LandscapeRentalsLandscapeRentals subscriber Posts: 1
    Steve,
    Thanks for all your help with Seth. I have tried all the links you posted and read all the threads. All of us non techies owe you a debt of gratitude. Thanks for all your help.
    Amen to that! Everyone who posted on this thread offered smart and useful suggestions. SUN people rock!
  • HPSHPS subscriber Posts: 1
    Stick with it Seth I think you have been given some great advice. It all start with valid HTML, well thought page titles, good use of H tags, and content geared toward the keywords you are optimizing for. Once you have that correct you can build from there.Regards,Howard
  • smartstagersmartstager subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi Seth,
    When I first started reading this thread, I noticed it was a few months old. Just wondering how things have changed for you since you implemented some of the changes suggested?
    Also, one of the first suggestions Steve James had was to change the words in your title line (instead of only having Cool Bug Stuff). When I looked at your site I noticed that wasn`t changed.
    Just wondering...
    Cari