We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

LLC Tax Question

PoppyseedPoppyseed subscriber Posts: 1
I formed a home-based gift-basket business with my sister last November.  We formed as an LLC (with 2 members).  Basically, I put up all the expense and my sister is helping with other resources (other than monetary).  We did not make any profits last year.  I plan on filing the 1065 and then filing the deductions (schedule E) on my individual return.  Since we are a 2 member LLC, technically does she have to file a schedule E also, even if we allocate 1% since she is a member?  Or is it allowable for me just to file it only for myself since I have paid for everything with the start-up?  I thought this would be easy this year - next year I will be employing someone to do my taxes.   Thanks in advance!


  • glgcpaglgcpa subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    First, since you`re a partnership you will need to file Form 1065, as you indicated.  Since you sister is also a partner, then 1% (her share of the partnership) of the loss for 2007 will be flowing to her.  Thus, she will receive a K-1 from the partnership, which she will need to report on her Schedule E of her Form 1040.
  • PoppyseedPoppyseed subscriber Posts: 1
    I would be forcing the 1% because she is my partner, but her contribution has not been financial.  I am wondering if I could claim 100% of the deductions on my schedule E and not have her file anything.  I mean, we made a little money but not really because I spent much more starting up the business.  Or is that a red flag?  Since we are an LLC (partnership), is it imperative she file a schedule E with something on it?  We are just getting going so I wanted to save her the trouble since it would just be going through the motions right now.  She is my partner and will play more of a role soon, but I have gotten everything up and running to this point.
  • glgcpaglgcpa subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    It would depend on what your partnership agreement states.
Sign In or Register to comment.