WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Startup Compensation for a Web Engineer

digitalagedigitalage subscriber Posts: 1

I just joined a startup as a Web Engineer.  There are now two founders and two engineers.  The startup is in the Web 2.0 space, has only been around for a few months, and has no financial backing.
The two founders have allocated a million shares of stock.  Both of them hold just under two-thirds of this amount and have planned for one-third to be given to investors.  As compensation, they have offered me a complete stock package of 1.5% of all shares.  The plan does not include a hourly wage or a salary.  This type of compensation will be available when we get founding.
I`m new to this scene, so I have no experience to draw from and have the following questions:
* Does their stock allocation plan make sense to you?  What is a common plan for startups?
* Re: my compensation, do I deserve more stock?  If so, what do you think is fair?
* What kind of compensation package is typical for an engineer that hops on board very early on in the life of a startup?
Their math doesn`t add up to me.  I feel that they should take a smaller percentage of all shares so that there`s a larger percentage to give to investors.  I also feel like I deserve more than 1.5% of all stocks, especially when you take into consideration the number of investment rounds needed for a successful startup and the resulting delution.
Since I`ve never joined a startup before and have never been offered a complete stock package for compensation, I will appreciate all advice and comments.
Thanks.

digitalage3/5/2008 12:46 AM

Comments

• Options
    benmunozbenmunoz subscriber Posts: 0
    You are getting screwed.  I`m both an MBA and former engineer.  You are a technical co-founder, so you should get something slightly less than them.  4 co-founders - maybe 30/30/20/20 with no investors.  If investors take half for their contribution, everyone gets diluted equally. 
    Cofounders: 15/15/10/10
    Investors: 50
    If they can get funding to pay you market wage, then you aren`t really a technical co-founder, you are an employee, so market wage plus 1.5% makes more sense. 
    If you`re taking on the risk (no funding), then you should get the reward (10-15% equity).  If you`re taking on little risk (decent salary), then you should get little reward (2% equity).