WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

New Invention Idea, Need Help

philscott35philscott35 subscriber Posts: 10
So I was doing research on the Pet Industry because I want to open my own Pet Store someday, but anyways in the middle of my research I had this fantastic idea for a NEW design of small animal cages. I know by being a owner of my own small animals and doing research that the variety of cages we can choose from is very minimal and depending on the animal it can prove very difficult to find a cage to fit your animal.My idea is to start out by drawing up designs and making a prototype for a hamster cage made out of lighter more durable material that can`t be chewed through, that will provide enough ventilation to keep fresh air moving into the cage, while also giving a bigger of space for the animal to move around and stretch its legs.My question is what are the steps I need to take, I`m new to the idea of inventing my own product, so I don`t know where to start and who to pitch my idea to. Who do I contact? And if there are any small animal owners here I would like to know your advice on my idea.

Comments

• Innovator7Innovator7 subscriber Posts: 9
    Ideas are a dime a dozen.  What matters is whether one can make money with an invention by building a product business or by licensing.Many experienced inventors or product developers will say not to start with spending money on a patent application but with looking for a licensee, but that can be tough selling too.  Many inventors like your truly learn to draft patent but seeing that you`re still studying about business, I won`t even recommend that unless you`re a fast learner.If the cost of a proto is affordable, build one to test your idea, then the proto can be used in licensing the product.  Never pay money to an "invention submission or marketing" firm.  They will just take your money and produce for you a useless "market research".  Only pay for results, not "efforts".Maybe you should just wait until you open your pet store to make and market your cage design.I invent products that are selling, but that`s a business that takes financial and time invesment.
  • jordanianitemsjordanianitems subscriber Posts: 0
    hi,
    i think you formed an idea of all the responces to your questions.to help you in a good conclusion,i think you might want to do a bit of all.you can start a small shop for making your product with little cost,it doesn`t have to be fancy.get some materials that needed for it and start building it your self maybe with a help of a friend.when you reach the final shape register it and start selling it in small quantities and slowly slowly you will be all over the world.good luck man,and thanks from all animalls of the world.
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    I agree with the thought to file a patent application BEFORE any attempts to sell or even offer to sell begin.  A provisional patent application is the least expensive initial filing.  I also agree with the post about not paying money to an "invention submission or marketing" firm.  Many of my clients have lost money to them.
    Stats show that 98% of all patents don`t make money for their holders, but support well the people in that profession.  Therefore a logical conclusion is to become a patent pro, not an inventor.The need of patent filing depends on the size of the market you`re serving, and many other factors.  It`s a tough business decision.  Late Peter Drucker would ask you: "what business are you in?"If you applied for a patent and were granted one, would you be able to make money from it? (see stat above)On the other hand, with the money that you would have spent on any patent filing, would you be able to make money from pets business or enjoy other things in life?I talk from experience.  I have many ideas that I don`t apply for patent because I don`t see the possibility of making money from them, even though I use them.  On the other hand, many people make money from unpatented products.  Those LED flashlamps come to mind.  Yes, the employer of the inventor of high intensity LED does make money from that market, but probably not the LED inventors.
    I`d be interested in seeing the source of those stats.  One basic reason to get a patent is to prevent copying of your invention.  Does anybody want to copy your invention?  If the invention is not likely to make money, the patent will not advance your business goals no matter what you do in terms of getting a patent or not getting a patent.  The solution is to find a better invention or product, not to eliminate the need for patent protection where it actually would help. 
    http://2xfr.patentcafe.com/guidelines_owners.aspStats about inventions.BTW I`m not even sure patentcafe makes money for their owner.  I talked to its CEO in person in his city.  I may give him a call again.
    thanks for the link.  the website says "97% of all patents never earn more money than they have cost - in part because the inventors / owners held on to expectations that showed lack or preparation, and that were clearly unreasonable."
    Did that website make up the 97% figure - or did they get it from an actual study of some kind? 
  • EricaKEricaK subscriber Posts: 0
    Sounds like you have a good idea that you think will sell well, and have the resources to make a functioning prototype. In order to get to stores, you need to fully develop the product along with a business plan, and work with someone to commercialize your product. Most people will also want to know numbers on the profit that you can potentially bring before they strike a licensing deal with you.  
    Sometimes, getting a patent too early may restrict you on making any design changes to help better your product, but some people do want to start with the patent, just to be protected. I work for Slingshot PDG and we work with entrepreneurs like you and help them bring products to market. We could help you with specific steps or all throughout the process. If you are interested in learning more, you can check us out a  www.slingshotpdg.com