WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Your common everyday Pet Supply Store

philscott35philscott35 subscriber Posts: 10
So you have the pet store, with supplies, animals, and all that..But obviously you need to make the store unique so you can bring in the business, so what I need is your advice.What do you want from a pet store?What kind of environment would you like to see in a pet store?Animals you would like to see at a pet store that you don`t usually see?Etc.......Tell me what you would like to see, period.I need your help to run a successful pet store with enough income to support me and my family. Any information would be most appreciated.
philscott352007-2-6 13:20:16

Comments

• Options
    ARiskARisk subscriber Posts: 4
    I have two large dogs, I love them!  One thing I would really like more choices on are food brands...more natural foods with ingredients that are healthy for my puppies (both over 9 yrs old)!  I don`t like going into stores with cats or dogs "for sale", in fact I avoid this type of store at all cost.  Try to get involved with local animal shelters and let them run adoptions days through your store to drive your business.
  • Options
    jenibrixjenibrix subscriber Posts: 0
    I agree with ARisk 100%.  People are FINALLY aware of what the traditional pet stores that we used to see in malls are all about and MOST people are aware that they are about $$ and puppy mills, NOT about pets. (I hope that isn`t the route you are taking.)   In fact, I`d be curious to see a study about how many of these old style pet stores are still in operation.  I`ve been preaching the evils of these chain stores since I first heard about puppy mills in 5th grade! Where do you plan on opening the store? I live on the northside of Indianapolis, IN and the most popular pet store is very unique in their vision and beliefs.  They NEVER  sell cats or dogs, but instead have adoption days with the local shelters, as ARisk mentioned.  They have a nice assortment of fish.  They carry a nice range of reptiles and amphibians, many of them very unique.  UNIQUE  but not rare or endangered. They also work with the local exotic pet rescue farm and will "showcase" some of the exotics over the weekends to educate customers or just to bring people through the doors on weekends.  Often times I`ve walked in to buy dog food only to find a monkey or a King Cobra on the shoulder of the owner.  The owners make it their mission that for every single pet they sell, the new owner is thoroughly educated on how to care for it.  One of the two owners is always there (they are brothers) and one told me once that they will ABSOLUTELY REFUSE  to sell any of the animals to a customer if they get the impression they are either not taking the responsibility seriously or feel that the pet will not be well cared for.  Obviously they are taking a huge risk of p#$ing someone off here, but they sleep better at night! The best part is that people like me that tend to be very hard core when it comes to animal rights, etc. KNOW that this store is unique in its philosophy, but the "average" pet owner who just wants a good pet and isn`t particularly concerned about the politics and issues behind it still shop the store and have no idea that they are really any different than some of the other pet stores. (Therefore, they don`t feel intimidated or think they are walking into a PETA sponsored store  )The owners are always open for talking about their ideas and beliefs but wouldn`t push them on most people that walk through the doors. 
  • Options
    MiriamMiriam subscriber Posts: 1
     Miriam2007-2-25 23:56:36
  • Options
    MiriamMiriam subscriber Posts: 1
    For several years I worked in a very successful pet shop that specialized in fish, birds, reptiles and other exotics.  NO sales of dogs or cats.  It`s important to be educated about the health and environmental requirements of small animals and exotics and to have all necessary supplies available.  Do have a large inventory of cat/dog supplies and a variety of high quality foods available.
    As other posters have recommended, and affiliation with a rescue group or shelter would be a great way to generate traffic for your shop, and educate the public on pet overpopulation at the same time.  If a family adopts a pet from an organization you sponser, they might be more inclined to purchase food, supplies, etc from your shop.
    Another idea you might consider.  The pet shops I worked at offered grooming.  You would need a qualified experienced groomer, and the necessary facilites, but this can be a big money maker.

Good Luck!!