WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Last Minute Queen

PatP3005PatP3005 subscriber Posts: 2
I have a dirty secret to share. And I need your help and advice in getting rid of it. I leave almost everything until the last minute. I don`t do it on purpose. I`m actually very organized. (In fact, I think that may be part of the problem) I know when a deadline is coming, I know about how long it will take (or I think I know), and then I work until midnight to get it out on time. Part of the problem is that I have a lot to do. Business is good. So I`m often just taking care of what seems most important - putting out fires. I end up at the last moment calling a client for a last minute needed detail - it embarrasses me and I think it is unprofessional.
Would you mind sharing with me your strategies for overcoming this problem? I know I can`t be the only one with this disease. And I believe others have overcome it. I have read time management books, I have read get organized books. But they don`t seem to help me. I don`t think they address whatever is at the heart of this problem. I`d love to hear from fellow sufferers and overcomers. Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    MNGrillGuyMNGrillGuy subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Standard work.  All processes need to be documented.  Templates are great too.
  • Options
    SunnyDaysSunnyDays subscriber Posts: 0
    I know that I work my best when I am under pressure, but I also learned that life can be so much easier without the stress of the pressure and like you said it doesn`t leave a good impression - especially not with clients.
    So seeing that i had to change my workstyle, I simply started with the work I don`t like that much first thing in the morning ..I better concentrate then and its funny how easy and fast things get done. After I got rid of the stuff I don`t like I treat myself with some work I really enjoy doing Give it a try
    And then there is always an option to outsource some of  the work as someone already suggested
    Good luck in getting rid of that bad habbit !

• Options
    PatP3005PatP3005 subscriber Posts: 2
    I am a perfectionist. And right now I feel completely overwhelmed with the amount of work that I have to do. I am full-time self-employed, working from home. I`ll have to give some thought to what I could outsource. I do accounting and taxes. That`s part of the problem right now; just got through tax season and picked up several new clients. But those clients need a full year`s worth of bookkeeping and accounting done, plus, I was so busy during tax season that I let my own books get behind. My husband has a business and also works from home. I let his books get behind too. So I`m feeling like a lot of what I have to do is an A priority.
    CampSteve, I`d be interested in knowing more about your to-do list that can be changed with a click of the mouse. I`ve tried various software approaches and the to-do list can become one more thing "to-do".
    And SunnyDays, I`m just the opposite. I don`t really get cranking until about 2 p.m. I`m in the office by 9 a.m. It would help tremendously if I knew before stopping for the day what I would be working on in the morning. If I wait until morning to decide I just sort of spin my wheels.
  • Options
    smurph05smurph05 subscriber Posts: 2
    I don`t procrastinate but I have a similar problem though. I am a certified ADD poster child..umm...adult. I live by lists, they are essential to my getting anything done. At the end of every day I make a list of everything that needs to get done the following day and I force myself to stick to it no matter what. You need to break down your work into manageable bits and make a list for the entire week. Leave some leeway for the `fires` but force yourself to stick to it. I use an old fashion pen and paper because I am a very tactile and visual person. Something about actually writing helps me remember events and helps me visualize my day.