WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Is this a potential market?

jwatkinsjwatkins subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
edited August 2007 in Selecting a Business
I have recently stumbled upon what I think is an unmet need. In my city and two other neighboring cities, there are hundreds of home improvement contractos (plumbers, roofers, electricians, painters, etc.) and hardly any of them have a website or even own the domain for their business name. I have found hundreds like this. The question I have is, do they not have a website because they feel they don`t need one or that they don`t know how to get one? I know I could ask them but I really would like some feedback here before I delve into asking the contractors. I thought about offering a domain buying service to at least help them secure a domain. I know my stepfather who is in the business didn`t have a website because he just didn`t have a clue how to get one. Now that he does he loves it.

Comments

• Options
    Fusion7Fusion7 subscriber Posts: 1

This is an unmet need. You could either build a site which list many contractors (several of these exist) or set businesses up with a small brochure site so that people searching on the web can see why they ought to call that particular contractor.
  • Options
    wordwarriorwordwarrior subscriber Posts: 1
    I agree with Fusion. I have had many contractors as clients and it isn`t as much that they don`t know about websites;they use direct mail coupons, listing in the trade blue book, listing in newspapers under services--more local advertising.
    However, if it is another region then the Los Angeles area,the scenario will be different.
  • Options
    nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Hi all,

Most cities have a local contractors association.  You could contact the association with an idea to list all the contractors under one web site.  Each contractor would pay to be listed.  Such a site exists that serve the