WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

zoning

nancibellenancibelle subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2007 in Thought Leadership
I am purchasing an historic home in upstate NY and plan to open a B&B.  NYS codes list Bed and Breakfast Dwelling as "owner occupied one-family dwelling used for providing overnight accommodations and morning meal to not more than ten transient lodgers, containing at least three, but not more than five bedrooms for such lodging."  The home is in area zoned R1, but city zoning ordinances descriptions are ambiguous.   Acccessory use in R1 is "Home Occupation, providing all signs pertaing thereto are erected in accordance with provisions of 123-26".  This is the complete entry.  There is no description of what a "home occupation" is.  In my research, many cities consider B&B`s as a "home occupation".  If I make no structual or property changes, provide adequate parking and adhere to the NYS guidelines, what would be my problem?