WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Product Protection Paranoia (PPP!)

rusmanrusman subscriber Posts: 7
edited December 2007 in Protecting Your Ideas
I have an idea for a product similar to a sticker. These will be cut into unique shapes and have unique artwork on the stickers that I can probably copyright, but the sticker itself I cannot protect.

Since any joe blow can have a sticker made with or without a copyright, I am worried about others starting a copy-cat business selling the same/similar product and this is keeping me from approaching people to survey them about the product. I`m even tentative about approaching other business owners within the field these stickers would be applied about reselling this product.

Is this a valid concern, or should I not be so paranoid and forge ahead with approaching people about the product, both for surveys and for partnering/affiliating? I know I should talk to a patent/copyright attorney, but I don`t have the budget for that yet.

Thanks for the help!