WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

`Invention` Protection

rusmanrusman subscriber Posts: 7
edited December 2007 in Protecting Your Ideas
Hello everyone-

I have an idea for a product, but I`m concerned about how to protect it. Let me use an example that will hopefully help.

For example, I have thought of the idea of a standard, round ball, Christmas ornament. I haven`t seen or heard of this product before. I can make them in many different colors and sizes, and I can also put artwork or other logos on them. It seems it would be easy enough for a competitor to create a similar product with different colors, shapes and artwork/logos.

What type of protection would I need (TM, Patent, C), and would that protect my idea when competitors start selling a similar, but slightly different, product, as stated above?

Comments

• Options
    Good idea on the non-compete/nda. Thanks for the reply, however I have a question:
    I thought a patent was for a `process`? Given my example, this wouldn`t be a new process to make the Christmas ornament, but it would require a new mold (or whatever is used to make the shapes). Given that, would it still be patent-able?
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    Consult and be prepared to pay a patent attorney.  I disagree that it is always the case that "patents are pretty specific and any minor alteration by a competitor and they are not in violation of your patent."
  • Options
    How much, ballpark, would I be expected to pay a patent attorney? I know that fees vary, but just a close guess would help me budget.