WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Questions on Business Ideas and my Introduction.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Saber102Saber102 subscriber Posts: 2
    Great discussion....and CraigL....you are Genius. There I said it. Someone had to.

I`ve had the same issue. I`m also A.D.D. I take meds and it helps a LOT, but it`s not a cure. I also enjoy researching ideas, setting up a business....and that`s where it goes flat, but could that in itself be a business ?

Weight training and martial arts have been in my life....well, all my life. I never get bored of either. I`ve thought of doing something with this, but then I think there is so much competition in training people, so many personal trainers, so many DoJo`s, that there`s no way to make a living doing just that. Hurting my brain trying to think of a way to make a living from something even related to those things.

• Options
    andrea32145andrea32145 subscriber Posts: 0
    Well, to be an entrepreneur, you should be patient to your work. It is normal you feel boring when the business has been a long time. Some problems appeared and everything seemed unlucky. But it is the essential step of the total successful. If you hold on the line, you will get  new passion and be enthusiastic to the job, you will also find the new interesting in your work. Just adhere to, good luck to you!
  • Options
    Saber102Saber102 subscriber Posts: 2
    Thank you both !

CraigL, I`m so glad you brought this up becasue I`ve been thinking the same thing for the past year, which is to incorporate some philosophy, meditation, visualization, Universal energy.....maybe some `life coach` stuff....into self-defense training. When I look at my knowledge and experience in these areas along with my natural ability to connect well with people, I think this is worth exploring further. This would set me apart from any competition.

Wow, it really feels good to have someone else give suggestions that I`ve been contemplating. Thank you.

• Options
    tetetete subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello Craig,

The same thing has happened to me but in my case I have tried a business before and failed, part of mine is the fear of failure. I still carry debt from the previous business, so financing is not an option for me at this point. I tried getting into a recruitment business, I left because I was scared and now another idea has come, actually 2 ideas publishing and brides. Any suggestion?

• Options
    TheLouTheLou subscriber Posts: 2
    Hello Everyone!! I am new here and I am really excited to hear from all of
    you. To put it in simple terms: My husband and I are both artists . He with
    photography and art,Myself with music. I would like to combine both our
    talents so that we can run a business together. Unfortunately the category
    that his photography falls in is very competitive so there has to be
    something that we could do to make him stand out. He currently works a
    day job and does the photography on the side. I feel that with the right
    funding we could invest more into his side business and make it more
    lucrative. Any suggestions? I am tired of us being the starving artists we
    have talent and its time to make money off of it! Cheers!
  • Options
    PeterBPeterB subscriber Posts: 6
    Hello Everyone!! I am new here and I am really excited to hear from all of
    you. To put it in simple terms: My husband and I are both artists . He with
    photography and art,Myself with music. I would like to combine both our
    talents so that we can run a business together. Unfortunately the category
    that his photography falls in is very competitive so there has to be
    something that we could do to make him stand out. He currently works a
    day job and does the photography on the side. I feel that with the right
    funding we could invest more into his side business and make it more
    lucrative. Any suggestions? I am tired of us being the starving artists we
    have talent and its time to make money off of it! Cheers!

Have you tried using your art with a different media? Maybe apply your art to a product or turn it into one? Have you tried making money from your art in the past or jsut done it as a hobby? Just some thoughts..
  • Options
    TheLouTheLou subscriber Posts: 2
    Hi Peter! Yes, I have. Alex has shot fashion photography over 15 years and
    unless you have a great agent you fall into a sea of photographers. I book
    alot of his appointments but it`s basically through word of mouth. What I am
    trying to conceptualize is a turning his photography into a product (i.e. like
    glamour shots but on a couture level) giving people magazine type of photos
    at a decent price. I am currently going to school full time to obtain my BS in
    Business Admin. -Major Marketing. I have contacted the SBA to try to obtain
    some funds to invest in his business.
  • Options
    cdbartworkcdbartwork subscriber Posts: 11
    I`ve read these postings with much interest. One person said the friends he knows who are successful entrepreneurs don`t sit around reading postings on the internet, he did apologize for this statement...In my own experience I did sit around reading these postings, jumping in on occasion, a little fearful of what someone might think. But the important thing for me is that with each passing day of logging on to SuN, I became more confident that I could do what I had been dreaming about doing. I read voraciously as many postings as I could, took in everything, felt inspired, that is the key, I always felt inspired that I could attain my dream.

The contributors to this site are wonderful. They are encouraging while at the same time, they can be brutally honest, they have been there, can help you through the pitfalls but something I found to be very important is they force you to think for yourself and decide for yourself. I am very glad I found this site.

Colleen
    Colleen 
  • Options
    PLathamPLatham subscriber Posts: 0
    To me, it sounds as though you need to find your focus.  I found my focus last year, this may sound strange but I was actually focusing on an object, kind of like your told to do in lamaze classes and one idea after another began to morph into my company that I began shortly thereafter.  I had my core idea, figured out my target (small businesses) figured how to reach them, that`s an ongoing process but slowly but surely The Latham Group is all coming together quite nicely. 

You also have to have you sphere of people that you trust to tell you the honest truth that your `great idea` is a winner or a loser.  When the majority rules it a winner - run with it and figure it out as you go along.

Pamela