WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

BuyDomains

2»

Comments

• efoozleefoozle subscriber Posts: 2
    CookieMonster,Really good thread. I wish this many opinions and so much passion went into other threads. Mainly the ones that effect people business, idea, or startup.
  • AllenPAllenP subscriber Posts: 0
    I think the rules (there are 3 I think) that must apply for a domain to be given up due to taking a registered name....basically bad faith and clearly trying to confuse the average person....that`s the grey area.
    But in defense of domain holders.....just because someone is called T Industries (example)....doesn`t mean they Own the letter "T"....but also doesn`t mean you can buy the site; tindustries.com and say you had no idea...(that`s the gamble).
    so disputes are sometimes unclear and arbitration ensues.....
    but come on...most who buy domains know why their doing it....and what their risk is.....
  • InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    "but come on...most who buy domains know why their doing it....and what their risk is....."
    Fair enough. Caveat emptor.
    That said, the level of experience in a person who registers a URL does not excuse the predatory behavior that occurs as the direct result of a rigged system. Nor does it exempt any company from adhering to the tenets of professional ethics.
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member

For your information, we did go to the extent of trademarking our name after a webmaster that we were considering using, stole our domain name, when we decided not to use him. He had a signed letter from us to transfer our domain name, from someone that had registered it, and never used it. Why he would have been able to do that is very questionable anyway.  But he just changed our name to his, and " the blankey blank co." accepted it.

House, I can imagine that your battle must have costed you some money. I had a similar problem with one of my clients. He let someone else register the domain names and when he bought out one of his partners, the partner took the domain name with him and told him that he had registered it under his name, but before he did that, he put a privacy ID on it. So, when I checked the WHOIS database I couldn`t find nothing. The good thing about this whole thing was that the customer decided to change the name of the company and they domain name was available. For future reference, don`t let the web designer register the domain name for you. As for your web site House, Perhaps, you may want to come aboard, I offer 99.99 uptime hosting. We own our own servers and we monitor them 24/7 365 days a year. currently I have 600 people on a new server and there is more room. about 1 terrabyte to be exact. We are only at 30 gig usage right now. So if you need speed, you are more than happy to come aboard.
  • stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    I have had issues with a few companies when transferring domains to godaddy for clients. Is a C-site the same as a copyright domain or just for site content?
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Hey Roland, quit holding her website hostage, you (beef) jerk (y)!!!
     Not me (her story relates to a former web person).. Janie controls her domains and her site is hosted by another company.
    ~Rolandvwebworld2007-3-16 8:11:54
    Edgar,You spelled terabyte wrong. That`s a little scary for a hosting guy to do that.Also, this site (StartupNation) does not allow blatant advertising posts, like yours.
    Brand, You are a funny fella you know that? So now what? I miss-spell a word and I am not credible person? Brand, what you probably have learned from googling is what I`ve forgotten about web hosting and Servers... Do me a favor.. Go google your education and come talk to me in 4 years. You know what I`ve been noticing here at start up nation lately? TOO MUCH GROUP THINKING....Thats halarious, I think they should break up SUN into three categories... Wanna Bees, Real business people, and Professionals.Where would you stand Brand? Oh and then another category for: Everything I know I learned through GOOGLE...
    Edgar,Most of us who use English as a first language learned to spell in elementary school. You don`t need Google for that. BTW, please add `hilarious` to your spellchecker. Just for grins - are you legal to be in this country?You seem to lean on this education thing. 55k? Many of us spent that much in our first few years of undergrad.As for group thinking, Nu, this is a group, after all. That doesn`t mean we all think alike, however.
    Am I legal.... You gotta be kidding me with this dude.... I do lean on education. Or what is it? Only Illegals goto school. As a matter a fact to tickle your rear end. No I am not legal... Im a border hopper (just like your ancestors)... Check out my pants dude, I still have the water marks on them... I got water marks and proud to show them.. What do you have? A red Neck? (not to offend others, but you know he threw a low blow)...
    Oh yeah - `NuEvolution` isn`t registered with the CA Secretary of State as a corp or an LLC. Is that a good idea to be doing business, perhaps with a fake SS #, and no corporate entity? You know, part of this `group think` idea in the United States is that we pay our taxes. Helps with roads, airports, border security, stuff like that.
    Brand, and who told you that nuevolution web designs was the Corporate name? Try Looking up Hispanic Marketing Strategies Inc. In the state of California... Oh wait I forgot I have a fake Social Security Number... I can`t own anything, that`s why I bring up Education all the time.... First of all Alchemy do you even know what group thinking is? Why don`t you go over to google and read on it... It seems thats how you educated yourself and now you think you`re some computer guru? Are you one of those people that walk into Best Buy and start talking the Lingo when you are about to purchase something? Do you like hearing yourself talk? Do you put this serious face? with a "yeah" sord of tone? I would love those guys... stripped shirts (blue,pink and yellow) with Dockers on... trying to sound professional..
    No Problem... Politely accepted...
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Love this topic.Keep the productive conversation going.Edgar & Jeff, may I politely suggest that you take your1-on-1 conversation private?
    Joel, Thank you!!
    ~Roland