WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Creating a company run from home

noah6123noah6123 subscriber Posts: 1
edited July 2007 in Business Planning
Hi,

I am looking to incorporate a new business from home, is it possible to use a
home address as the registered office address? Additionally as a way of cutting
costs etc do I actually have to appoint a company secretary?

Thanks,

Comments

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Noah6123,
    The answers to your questions depend upon the State in which you will beforming the corporation.
    For example, California requires that you file a list of officers. Because California allows one person corporations you can appoint yourself to fill all the officer positions.  Some other States require a minimum of 2 to form a corporation.robertj2007-7-25 11:18:37
  • SBLSSBLS subscriber Posts: 0
    Robert is right that this is state specific.  Generally speaking, any physical address in the state satisfies the Registered Agent requirement (i.e. it cannot be a PO Box).  The next question related is what type of entity you`re setting up. Typically, a corporation is required to have a President and Secretary.  Some states allow this to be the same person while others require that they be two different people.  Similarly, a corporation is typically required to have a board of directors, hold annual meetings and maintain a corporate minute book.  An LLC often doesn`t have these requirements -- although it`s a good idea to consider implementing some corporate governance structure even if you`re the only owner and manager/officer.  You want to talk with an accountant and a lawyer about the right structure for your business based on the management, tax, ownership and liability issues the business will be facing. 
  • santiagosantiago subscriber Posts: 0
    It is perfectly possible to have your company registered
    from your home address and many people do this. There may be restrictions in
    your lease or by way of restrictive covenant on using your home for anything
    other than residential purposes, which is a rather different matter. In
    practice, it will depend on the nature of the business. If you are just using
    your spare bedroom as an office and so there is no interference with your
    neighbours, etc., it is unlikely to be a problem.
    With regard to the company secretary, this is still a requirement until the new
    (2006) Act comes into effect which, for these purposes, is April 2008. Until
    then you need a company secretary. You may refer to the online services Tax
    haven companies for the best answer and solution to your requirements.

Best of luck.
  • Laura12Laura12 subscriber Posts: 0
    Why don`t you set up a Vitrual Office? It gives you a professional business address plus professional phone answering and private office time to meet with your prospects. It protects your home address (provides security from people knowing where you live)The professional address can be used for a registered address and for most licences in most states, AND your calls are answered by  a professional receptionist and routed accordingly PLUS you get to use a private office to meet with your clients (instead of a coffee shop or your house)  If this interest you, let me know
  • JGAviatorJGAviator subscriber Posts: 0
    Why don`t you set up a Vitrual Office? It gives you a professional business address plus professional phone answering and private office time to meet with your prospects. It protects your home address (provides security from people knowing where you live)The professional address can be used for a registered address and for most licences in most states, AND your calls are answered by  a professional receptionist and routed accordingly PLUS you get to use a private office to meet with your clients (instead of a coffee shop or your house)  If this interest you, let me knowIt does peak my interest considering my line of business.
    A virtual office gives you a professional mailing address to recieve your mail and packages. You can use this address on your business cards, letterhead , website and so on. It creates a very professional image (versus using your home address)- it also protects the confidentiality of your home address. Plus you can use that address on all your incorporation papers.
  • STFTASTFTA subscriber Posts: 3
    A virtual office gives you a professional mailing address to recieve your mail and packages. You can use this address on your business cards, letterhead , website and so on. It creates a very professional image (versus using your home address)- it also protects the confidentiality of your home address. Plus you can use that address on all your incorporation papers.How do you setup a virtual office?
    The person that helped me was great. Her name is Tara Wurtz. She can get you a professional business address anywhere. You can call her at 248 854 9190 or 586 804 9211 (EST)