WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

job downsizing and graduating from school now what?

nothinglikeitnothinglikeit subscriber Posts: 27
edited July 2009 in Thought Leadership
Hey guys,
I have not posted on this site in a long time. I have been spending my time finishing up my degree. I am now less than 2 months away! It is a great feeling. I am excited about the possibility of getting to work with games and websites which is something that i have always wanted to do.
I however, am reminded of the sobering realities of the current market. In my `for money` job I work as a supervisor at a clothing store. my store is not doing too well over all. Every other store in the district has had thier management staff reduced. Because of our underperformance, it looks like we are next. There are only six of us (including my boss) among those i am the only part timer. i am also the only one not `in charge` of a particular area of the business. I haven`t heard anything yet, but based on the cards i have, i may be the odd man out if it comes to it.  The good news is  I am graduating, I have wanted to leave the job for close to a year, and im building my tools to start a business. So it seems like the perfect time (if there is such a thing when it comes to getting laid off0)
But i guess the fear comes in when I hear about so many people unable to find work; or the fact that I am still working on creating my products. 
So the advice i am seeking is what`s a guy to do?  I am an adult capabale of making my own decisions but I am wondering what those of you in similar situations have done. I  appreciate any insight you fine folks have to offer.

Comments

• nothinglikeitnothinglikeit subscriber Posts: 27
    Thanks Craig, To be honest, it`s kind of a liberating feeling. Now I realize I have nothing to lose with that Job, and not all that much to gain either.  I think you`re right about the way the new economy will be. Corporations became much too large and bloated. I think we`ll see a return to nimble places that can deliver things quickly.