WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Think of the Irony

nothinglikeitnothinglikeit subscriber Posts: 27
edited February 2007 in Office Workers
So many of us on Start Up Nation are still working for the man. Have you ever stopped to think, as you plan your business that you may, indeed become the man (or woman)?

I have and I`m struggling with that truth now. Luckily I`ve worked for bosses that have been good and bad. I`m trying to compile some behaviors from helping me become the hated man.
But here`s the other part. We`re all about entreprenuership here. I can`t see myself working for someone else. But what about my employees? Should I foster the creative drive to start up thier own business? Or are some people happy working for the man?

This is all just pie in the sky stuff but I`m curious, how do you current business people foster entreprenuership among your staff. SUN Staffers feel free to jump in.

Comments

• GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Just a quick comment on "Or are some people happy working for the man?"
    Yes, thank goodness!  I think many people (if not most) are happy working for the man to some degree, even if they won`t admit it.  There is a lot of comfort and security with the man.  (Much more so then being an entrep.)  I would never stifle anyone`s entrepeneurial spirit because I find it a great and fascinating quality (I say that as a fellow entrepeneur) but I certainly don`t poopoo or think any less of someone because they are happy with their job working for someone else.  What a horrible place it would be in a world full of Chiefs and no Indians!
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    "workin` for the man" only qualifies as "workin` for the man" when you don`t like what you do. i know a TON of great people working at huge companies who are totally stimulated and fulfilled. i hope they stay put (and, yes, start a side business for fun!)when we at StartupNation refer to those people who are "workin` for the man", we`re identifying with those millions of people who are "stuck", "unhappy", "wanting a better life". and we believe that working for yourself is the best way to remedy all of this!rich
  • ErinHattawayErinHattaway subscriber Posts: 2
    My bosses are always very supportive of their team`s needs and opportunities.  While I`m here, I`m here- and they expect 110%- but as I was hired on full-time I was able to talk to my boss about the fact that I might need to pursue other opportunities.  He told me he understood- and supported my decision either way.  The thing is- that kind of respect and freedom made me feel secure and happy with my "job."  This is a startup, but it`s not MY business.  However, not working for myself is made easier by having a boss who doesn`t fret about workforce.  He`s happy to give people training and help them gain experience, and then happy the let them move on, even help them when it`s time.
    Here`s a blog I wrote about my findings in my office.  You can be the man without having to be that man.
  • BradBurnetteBradBurnette subscriber Posts: 1
    My 2 cents, and then some, I`m sure:The figure you mention Craig L, likely comes form the 95/5:5/95 reality that exists in America (and this does relate to a post I had on one of your topics earlier). 95% of America is either employeed or self-employeed, and they control, as a group, 5% of the wealth in the US. The other 5% are comprised of B-type business owners and large scale investors (not 401k people, think Paul Allen types), and they control 95% of the wealth in the US.If you are planning on shifting out of the 95% to the 5%, getting back to the original topic, then I don`t think there is anything wrong with needing people from where you came from. As has been mentioned, most people are fine with being employees. While the only value I personally see in being an employee is immediate income, there are things others value in this style of acquiring money. If you provide that for others who want that, just because you wouldn`t want to be in their shoes, doesn`t make it immoral, unethical, or wrong in any way.But that`s just my opinion. Even if that employee wishes to be in your shoes, they`ll have to learn what they need to learn, and do what they need to do, to make it out. I would say that in that case you would be doing right by them if you were to share your feelings, knowledge, etc. of how you got out. If they want out of the rat-race, encourage them and congratulate them when they make it out. Even if it is a race you own.
  • BradBurnetteBradBurnette subscriber Posts: 1
    I think Craig nailed it down pretty well. People either think entrepreneur or don`t. Don`t force it on those who don`t, and support and encourage those who do.