WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Should trademark be owned by me or my LLC?

eLLe_M_N_O_PeLLe_M_N_O_P subscriber Posts: 1
edited October 2012 in Protecting Your Ideas
I just registered my LLC. I am the sole owner/officer of the company. I am now trying to register my LLC name as a trademark, both on legal zoom. They are asking me "what type of entity owns the trademark?" Amongst their options, the ones applicable to me are: "One person" or "a LLC". I just called legal zoom to try and clarify what would be the differences down the line and they werent much help. I would like to know what would be the benefits or conditions of each. For example, if i die and the trademark was registered directly to my person instead of the LLC, what would happen to the trademark? If its registered directly to the LLC and I at some point am no longer a part of the company, do I have no rights to using the slogan/company name? do I have no rights to bringing legal action against others that may be using it? So many questions, please help!