WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Notable Style - VistaPrint. Anyone heard of it?

PeraPera subscriber Posts: 1
edited April 2016 in Selecting a Business
Hello,

Being a new MBA graduate, I have found myself quite eager to start up some sort of business, however, I`m not sure what to do or where to start. I am very creative and have excellent customer service skills so I thought I might invest in this franchise called Notable Style. Has anyone heard of it? The company is an affiliate of VistaPrint that specializes in custom printing. I (the consultant) would attract business orders and create the product (cards, invitations, letterhead, etc.) from home. Here is the website, http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/notablesty ... 23%3A28+PM,

What are your thoughts?
Pera12/27/2007 10:40 PM

Comments

• mattadamsmattadams subscriber Posts: 2
    Like Gags said, consider the competition. It seems to me ( a creative design firm owner who prints $80k a year of customer product), that there is tons of competition out there for this. Gang run printers are a dime a dozen. I dont think you would be using your MBA well by doing this, as any joe schmo can also do this. 
    I have seen a few people do this model of business, and I honestly do not know how they do it. Making a 20 - 50% markup on such small orders, would take a lot of hours managing customers for a small profit. And it would be small orders. Anyone ordering a large number of products, is not going to use a gang run printer, they would use a commercial press for a custom run, and usually local. mattadams12/31/2007 3:56 PM
  • PeraPera subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks for replying to me, guys. You both make very good points. I know there is a lot of competition out there, and the odds are against me, but it seemed like an easy first business for me to start up. I`ll definitely keep researching, however, before deciding on anything.
  • mattadamsmattadams subscriber Posts: 2
    if you are leaning this way, you may want to look more to becoming a print broker. 
    this would entail finding print jobs, and sending them to a printer. Then the printer would be from a number of local, and national printers you know. this would open you up to larger scale jobs. For example, the 2008 superbowl printed materials, all went through a single broker. Im sure it was a few hundred thousand dollars. Much different than being a small broker for vista print sending in $50 jobs. 
  • PeraPera subscriber Posts: 1
    Great Idea. I`ll look into that! Thanks for your input.  
  • infinique1infinique1 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    You should try a business where you can have different USPs. Having the same deliverables is not good enough for a new company to survive.
  • fredscolbertfredscolbert subscriber Posts: 1
    Vistaprint, yes,,, but not the Notable Style yet. However, in Vistaprint, they are god in after-sales but the quality of the product is not that impressive. Printed stocks are seems crumpled, with that I decided to make my letterhead and invitations done by http://www.digitekprinting.com/foam-core-posters.