WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Can you Critique My Site?

lbbblbbb subscriber Posts: 5
edited August 2007 in Website Critique
I have just started a new business http://www.littleblackbookofbeauty.com/.I built the site myself and would like some feed back. My site basically is an online beauty guide for the Metro Detroit area. I will be adding more features as the site grows but I am just looking for suggestions at this point.

Comments

• WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    Right off the bat, I loved the look; the colors and the retro type of style is, I think, great. For me, the menu text could be just a bit darker or stronger so that it stands out just a little better against the white.Viewing the page source, I`m not quite sure why there are 2 head sections. For SEO, I would suggest your menu links and some of your keywords along the bottom of the page.
  • awc045awc045 subscriber Posts: 2
    I agree with M Hall above - great look, great colors.  Very pleasing visually.  I would add a little more content (text, pics, links, etc.) to the middle of the page.  It looks a little bare, but otherwise very nice.
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Style / design - look good. The pages do look a little barren because of all the white space. So, you could increase the font size a little.
    Advertise with us You say "Please review our advertising rates below (with a link). Then you have another link below. Why have two links? Just incorporate both into one.
    Images - The file sizes for some of your images is large for the size of the image. For example, on the cosmetic dentistry page, gyms page, and personal trainer`s page. (I didn`t check the images on every page). The images should be resized before you put them on the page rather than just shrinking (or setting a smaller width and height) but using the orgininal image.
    Also, you should have an alt image tag for each image that is more desccriptive than the name of the image file (Gym-1.jpg).
    Contact us - you might consider providing an online form in addition to just an email address. It is more user friendly because the viewer does not have to open their email program, they just complete the form on the page. Also, if the person is not on their own computer, they may not have access to yourown email.
    HTMLcode: As already mentioned, the two <head></head> sections in the HTML of your web pages does need to be corrected.
    ~Roland
  • lbbblbbb subscriber Posts: 5
    Thank you for all the comments. I will be taking some time over the next few weeks to work on your suggestions. This is my first site so it`s all new for me. Can someone explain the two <head></head> sections to me. I am a bit confused with what needs to be changed. Thanks, Mika
    I agree the front page needs more pizazz and needs a better explanation...Do you know a good copyrighter that could assist....I just do not have a good writing flare....Thanks, Mika
    If you have any more comments please let me know!!! Thanks, Mika
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Can someone explain the two <head></head> sections to me. I am a bit confused with what needs to be changed. Thanks, Mika
    A web page should only have one section of the html code defind with <head> </head>. Having more than one <head> section may affect how your site is seen by various browsers. Browsers expect to find certain information in the HEAD section. Simply stated with more than one <head>, you might confuse the bowser.
    Your html code also specifies <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" You might want to consider changing that or correcting some of the validation problems.
    What program was used to create the site? Was code copied and modified from another source?
    ~Roland
    Your basic code structure should be like this ....html opening taghead opening tagyour title, meta tags, import css and javascript, etc./head closing tagbody opening tagyour main content/body closing tag/html closing tagIf you view your source code, you have a head section right at the top, then near the end of the page you have it again, although the information in it is slightly different. You should only have the head area at the top. If you like, I can clean it up for you if needed.
    If you could that would be great...What do you need from me to accomplish that? Mika
    I sent you a message about it.
    Thanks for all the support...Mika
    Andew:The first thing I want people to do is sign up for the newsletter and then find the information they are looking for....This will be my new project....
  • happy2bemehappy2beme subscriber Posts: 6
    I really like the site. What a fabulous idea! I didn`t see a place and I think you would benefit from having an easy "e-mail this page to a friend." It`s simple marketing and I love when I find a nice site and have that option. You may also want to get some of your local newspapers some PR on it and then provide some "as seen in..."
    Good Luck to you- Diana
  • happy2bemehappy2beme subscriber Posts: 6
    PS: It would also be nice for you on your homepage (seeing as you have plenty of room) to have a place where others can write in and share their Detroit treasures with you. This will also possibly generate advertising leads for you.
    Diana
  • stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    I loved it! I love girly stuff, so it definately has the appealing factor for me!
    Erin