WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Children`s Bookstore

MizEMizE subscriber Posts: 1
edited March 2008 in Selecting a Business
Hello!  My name is Elena. I am new here!
I am a stay-at-home mom and have degrees in music and bilingual education.  (I`ve worked in both fields.)  Recently my DH and I were discussing our dream jobs, and I said I`d like to own/run a children`s bookstore.  Surprisingly, he was all for it.
Here is the concept-- a children`s bookstore that would sell toys (local craftspeople and higher quality/unusual toys).  There would also be a free but small play area, as well as a cafe.  I could possibly have an online component that would push the toys/unique items.  I know people will use Amazon for books!
In my area (a suburban location 20 miles from a major city) there is no chain bookstore or independent bookshop (other than a Christian one) in the actual suburb.  The closest major chain is 4 miles away, so not that far.  23% of the pop. is under the age of 18, and the suburb is growing as people get priced out of the city.
People I`ve talked to (parents and teachers) have thought a bookstore would be great here.  However, everything I`ve read says that bookstores are a dying breed, and pretty much impossible to keep afloat.
Funding possibilities are a local grant (suburb is trying to revitalize the downtown area) and maybe other grants since I am a female and DH is  part of a minority group.  We`d need loans, too.  I may have a few friends willing to invest, but I would worry about this!
I would not be in this to make a fortune (everyone`s idea is different on the actual figure!) but I could obviously not do this to LOSE money in the long term.  I know initially I`d be lucky just to break even.
I don`t have a business plan yet, but I don`t even want to embark on that if there is a close-to-unanimous vote that a business of this nature would fail.
So, what do you think?  Is this something that could work if done well, or is there really no chance for success?

Comments

• Options
    emagynemagyn subscriber Posts: 3
    First off, I think this is wonderful...Stop what you are reading if it`s not going to uplift your dream.  Just because the big boxes are here, doesn`t mean there isn`t room for you to be a player in this industry.  Remove any signs of doubt.  You may start out as a bookstore to sedgeway into something else.  It takes a start to get you going in the direction you need to be.  I too have long terms goals, but in the interim, I need to get the ball rolling with my short term ones. 
    It would be great to have a local area to for book clubbers as well.
    Much success in your endeavor as you process this through.
  • Options
    Shanna, thank you for the encouragement!  As DH says, I need to keep going until I hit something that says, no-- there is just no way.  He says it`s too soon to give up!
    Craig, good to hear you know of such a store that succeeds!  As for your question-- do I choose good gifts-- tough to tell.  I do think I am able to find the latest new toy/idea, but not commercial ones.  However, I am afraid of parents` reactions of something unusual, so I usually just give books!  (And these are well-received.)  My own children are anomalies-- they don`t play with too many toys!  My oldest (6) makes her own toys and reads constantly, my middle child (2) is TV obsessed or has me read to her , and my little one does play with toys, but I`m sure that will stop!  However, my sister has 5 children that I can use to test drive things . . .they own/actually play with the kinds of things I`d buy for my shop.  (They do like my gifts!)
    homebased-- yes!  I was absolutely going to do the b-day party thing!  I think if I can get people to be EXCITED about reading and make it a party, what better job would there be?  I see how touched my own children are by the books we have everywhere (reading is so much a part of their lives), that I want to bring that to every family.  I have many ideas of how to use the bookstore to make it a place where young people (and hopefully their parents!) would want to really get into books.  I think too often the goal of reading (by parents and educators) is on the task of reading vs. the pleasure of reading.  It`s so sad.  I know there is a lot of pressure (like No Child Left Behind), but it is robbing our children of pure joy-- not to mention true learning. 
    I think my biggest fear is just losing EVERYTHING.  I can`t do that to my family. Again, I would not be in this to make gobs of money, but I would need enough to keep the business going.
    Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments!
  • Options
    I hear ya, Craig.  I think what I`d need (along with good inventory) are extra ideas (in the form of events, workshops, etc.) to bring people in . . .I have some ideas that go beyond what is currently offered.
    And as for the "educational toys," I have my ideas on what they constitute.  I don`t think they are the type that teacher stores sell.  I find children know when they are being tricked into being taught, if that makes sense . . .and it is not authentic for them, so they don`t learn much.  My toys would be much more child-driven, to give them the springs that would set them into their true work-- the work of play.
    My concerns are still-- (1) would I have the money to keep the business going while it grew (2) would a recession support this kind of business and (3) is the downtown of my suburb going somewhere, or is it just dead? 
    So, I think for these I need to get a business plan into writing (I saw the thread where business plans are somewhat controversial, but I would truly benefit from one).  Then, I am going to go to my local SCORE office (thanks to this board, I found the group existed).  I think that will help me decide if I should go forward or not.
    Thank you for the continued help!MizE3/9/2008 7:26 PM