WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Starting down the road less traveled

MysteriousEmMysteriousEm subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2009 in New Member Welcome
Hello everyone!I`m a twenty-something about to get my undergraduate degree.  My family is convinced that I ought to get my Master`s, but I`m just as convinced that it would put me even deeper in debt with very little to show for it that I couldn`t get just by opening my eyes and ears, and reading a lot.Anyhow, my dream is to start a photograph restoration business out of my home.  Of course, I have tons of "bright ideas" to go along with it, but who doesn`t at this stage?  Unfortunately, one of the many over-priced lessons I learned in college was that credit cards are a Bad Idea.  Add that to a pile of student loans, and I`m definitely paying for my bad decisions. But I`m determined not to let this stop me from planning for the future.  Time will pass whether I spend it moping around or making plans, so I figure I`m better off doing all the legwork and research that I can without a lot of funding, while I work toward paying down my debts.Anyhow, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi!  I`ve already learned a lot just lurking and reading other people`s posts, so I`m looking forward to taking part in this great community.

Comments

• Options
    Hey TigerTaco,Actually, my screen name is derived from my real name, which starts with the letter "M".  It`s become kind of a joke between me and my brother (very long story which probably isn`t as funny in the retelling), but it makes as good a screen name as any.    I`ve never made the "em dash" connection, though.I wanted to thank you for the words of encouragement!  I know it`s going to be tough for awhile, but I`m in the lucky situation of being single with relatively few responsibilities other than those of my own making.  I`m also lucky enough to be roommates with my brother, who is probably the most awesome cheerleading squad anyone could ask for.  So I`m trying to focus on the good points of my situation instead of getting down about the mistakes I`ve made.  Since my brother is about to start college, we`ve moved into an apartment and split the bills so that I can send the extra income to pay my debts, and he can send his extra income to pay his tuition, instead of going into debt like I did.  I`m glad that he`s learning from my mistakes, anyhow.I`m sorry to hear about the death in your family.  I lost my grandmother to cancer awhile back.  It`s hard to lose a family member like that.  That`s pretty impressive about your grandfather`s business, though.  I don`t have anything nearly so massive in mind!Anyhow, I`ll stop before this becomes a novel.  Thanks again for the warm welcome! 
  • Options
    Thank you, Craig, for the great advice! 
    Right now, I`m very aware that my plans are in the "pipe dream" phase.  But I try to take a step toward making them a reality every day.  Some days I even try for 3 or 4 steps.
    I currently have a very tolerable job working from home in what I suppose you would call desktop publishing.  My boss owns her own business and provides her services to Thompson publishers, working on electronic resources for textbooks.  It`s a great job, for now, but the idea of owning my own business, and taking full responsibility for my successes and failures, is very appealing to me.  But I do at least have a steady income.  And when the business is slow, and I don`t get as many hours as I like, I can put that extra time to work by doing research for the future of my business.  It`s an ideal situation to be in, really.  But then, my biggest fault is probably a little too much optimism.  XD 
    I`m going to look into the possibility of getting into product photography.  I had also thought of trying to do what I suppose you`d call freelance work photographing weddings, etc.  No matter how slow times may be, I figured people still get married.
    I`ve got a lot of ideas buzzing around in my head, though.  You should see my "notes" file.  It`s just a good thing I know how to keep organized when I need to, or it would be a train wreck.
    Once again, thanks for the warm welcome!