WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Getting started

nettienettie subscriber Posts: 1
edited July 2007 in Grab Bag
Hi, all.I am considering starting up a tutoring business with a fellow teacher. The tentative plan is to concentrate on recruiting certified teachers as tutors, since so many of us tutor for extra money as it is, and we would like to market ourselves using the certified teachers as a perk (I have several teachers in my family, am active in my local teachers` union, etc, so recruiting should not be an issue). This idea stemmed from having a lot of students asking me where they can find tutors, me wishing I could legally offer my own services, and wondering where to recruit students to tutor outside of my own school.Some of my questions:-I know the overhead to start up would be minimal, but what sort of liability insurance and such would I need?-What are the disadvantages of doing this with a partner as opposed to on my own? She is fantastic at recruiting and marketing, and I question my own personal abilities in that area, and my strengths are more of the business end of things (web design, HR, etc). Is it critical to outline a growth structure in advance, to head off potential issues, or is that getting ahead of ourselves?-What do you think the best rate structure would be? Should we incorporate our fee into the hourly rate, or simply charge a placement fee?I suppose I need to do some research on the legal side of getting started, etc. I`m at the "I have an idea, now what?" stage, so thanks in advance if you actually read this entire post!

Comments

• CookieCookie subscriber Posts: 2
    Good luck.  If you`re a good teacher, establish rapport with your students & get your name out there, you can do well.  It can even be a home-based business which really cuts down on expenses.
    To give you an idea of what you can charge, I`m in Chicago & the math tutor my daughter used 2 years ago charged $100/hour.  The range for ACT tutors is $90-$240/hour.
  • nettienettie subscriber Posts: 1
    Wow. I can`t believe the rates people can charge. I`ve charged about $40 in the past with no intermediary, but with no intermediary, lining up jobs is a hassle and purely luck based.
  • CookieCookie subscriber Posts: 2
    I think what can be charged depends a lot upon where you`re located.  A gal I know ran a tutoring service in a small town in MI & she charged lots less.  The ACT tutoring quotes differed because of the instructors` experience & when class was held.
    I`d get in contact with schools in your area, PTA, etc.   You also want referrals from past customers.  When our daughter felt she needed math help, she asked her friends if anyone was using a tutor & who they liked.
  • nettienettie subscriber Posts: 1
    Yeah, we`re pretty established with contacts and such. That`s why I am leaning towards going for this, as opposed to other business ideas that to me sounded like more fun.I`m just clueless about getting started.
  • ObsidianLaunchObsidianLaunch subscriber Posts: 7
    Be careful on bringing in a partner.  A partner can be inspiring and a shoulder to lean on.  But it is just like a marriage - and a business divorce is no walk in the park.
    Know exactly who you are "marrying", and consider being "single" as long as you can.  Being a sole equity owner has its benefits, especially the sole equity part.ObsidianLaunch2007-8-12 0:13:2
  • cookiejimcookiejim subscriber Posts: 0
    If you do decide to go the partner route, make sure you get all of the details in writing, especially how conflicts will be resolved.  Consider hiring an attorney who has experience in setting up partner ships.  It`s an extra start-up expense, but it can save a lot of headaches in the future.