WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

consignment vs. drop-off store or consignment and drop-off

europowereuropower subscriber Posts: 1
edited July 2007 in Business Planning
Hi everyone! First time "poster," long time reader...I`d like to submit my business idea to the SUN fellowship with the hopes of getting all the good advice I can before embarking in the adventure of opening a business.
I`m actually living in Italy, close to an USAF facility which accounts officially for close to 6,000 people as far as personnel numbers. In my opinion, a business opportunity has presented itself when the higher powers of this military base have decided to ban any type of yard/garage sale activity due to security issues, besides the fact it`s illegal to hold such a sale, according to Italian law. Before, many Italians and people from other nationalities who live in the area would tour around the off-base military housing units to buy from these garage sales. While there`s a belief that the locals are not big fans of consignment shops -- judging by failed businesses experiences from the recent past -- it seems everyone from this area has, at some point in time, either bought something directly from one of these garage sales or knows of someone who has. I`ve conducted an informal survey about the needs for the services of a consignment store in the area via a post on a message board of a popular local web site among the  military community and, so far, I`ve got nothing but positive responses. I`ve also interviewed personally a few of them, and they all seem to agree on the fact that there`s a need for these type of services arguing that the in-base thrift shop does not satisfy their customer experience due to odd-hours and total lack of organization in the running of such shop.
This being said, I believe the time has come when I have to decide whether to continue working for peanuts in the endless rat-race known as a regular job, or give full license to the entrepreneur inside me and run with the consequences. So, I`m faced with the dilemma of opening either a regular brick-and-mortar type of consignment store, or an ebay drop-off shop. Or a combination of both. Also, considering I don`t have the previous experience of running such a store, or any type of business, for that matter,  I`m also pondering the need to start it with the help of a local franchise which has 60 stores nationwide. To give you an idea of the market size, we`d be talking about a population of close to 100K in a 20 miles radius. I believe this is an experience which could get replicated around other base sites in Italy, and possibly in Europe. 
Thank in you in advance for all your comments/suggestions regarding this business idea 
P.S.: I`d like to invite you to cast your vote on the poll I`m posting on this same section.

europower2007-7-27 11:28:11