WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Hi from NJ - Medical Supply Store

mikosmikos subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2007 in New Member Welcome
Hi all.
Have to say this is a great site and forum.  Tons of useful information and I`m hoping to learn even more starting with this post.
I am planning to start a medical supply store online with a focus on folks with dimentia.  I had a father with Alzheimer`s disease and experienced firsthand what products were helpful and how some of those could be improved.  With the unfortunate growth predicted I believe this could truly be helpful to people and an opportunity (the best of both worlds).  My big sticking point thus far is the following:
- How to source potential suppliers?  This is a biggie as there are tons of sites out there that claim to be wholesalers that really are retailers.
I`m working on my business plan that I hope to have a fairly complete version of shortly.  However, I`m looking for more information or a mentor to help me on my journey.  Any references you may have, please forward my way.
Thank you all in advance.  Exctied to be here.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    Craig,
    Thank you very much as that is very helpful.  I would imagine it would be very frustrating to go down the same path constantly. 
    My other thought is to find some "off the beaten path" stores and find products that I`d like to have on my site.  Then either contact that company as a potential supplier.  Finding a product at Walmart/etc wouldn`t make much sense as they are obviously going for volume and would be tough to compete with them. 
    I guess the key is finding as many of the product creators as possible and trying to work out distribution deals. 
    I will say one thing, this is certainly a learning experience.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Excellent idea. I actually kicked this around a few years back (great procrastinator). I actually already registered withalzheimers.com a few years back.

Great idea. Thanks.
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    I did some work for an online medical supply store. http://www.southwestmedicals.com/</A> 
    The have a variety of products. But you might try contacting the owner an ask about sources of product.
    ~Roland