WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Web based logo creation.

partymanpartyman subscriber Posts: 3
edited February 2008 in Marketing
Hello,

Last year I decided to try a online logo company.  This company is owned by a company that makes my laptop among other things.  I purchased a package of 10 logo concepts.  All of the concepts were of poor quality in my opinion. 

I did research after the fact!  This Utah based logo company uses freelance artists.  They are paid from $20 to $40 dollars.  How much time do you think someone is going to spend for that amount of money. 

Comments

• partymanpartyman subscriber Posts: 3
    This logo company is covered in detail in many blogs.  Most are from the design community.  I would like to post those threads but am unsure if that is allowable.

The $20 to $40 figure, I found from several different sources.  I found one person who is in college and says that he does it for grocery money.  After researching after the fact, I never would have done it.  The backing of a huge reputable company.  The whiz bang website with fantastic looking logos.  This pushed me to the buy side. 

• LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15

Hello, Last year I decided to try a online logo company.  This company is owned by a company that makes my laptop among other things.  I purchased a package of 10 logo concepts.  All of the concepts were of poor quality in my opinion.   I did research after the fact!  This Utah based logo company uses freelance artists.  They are paid from $20 to $40 dollars.  How much time do you think someone is going to spend for that amount of money. 

After the "company that makes your laptop among other things" purchased the "online logo company" I had something really bizarre happen.  The marketing department of the parent company contacted me asking if I would be interested in a link exchange with them.  Huh!?!  Why would I want to associate my design business with such an operation?
    - J.
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Don`t waste your money and time to risk your company`s credibility by using those online logo companies.
    I totally disagree with that statement. Just like with everything else in life, there are good and bad online logo companies. You have to do your homework. I used an online logo company to design my logo, and I`m very happy with the results. The company I used is called Biz-Logo.com, and I highly recommend their work. I definitely will be using them for all of my logo work from now on.
    Dale KingDKing2/4/2008 12:54 PM
    Don`t waste your money and time to risk your company`s credibility by using those online logo companies.
    I totally disagree with that statement. Just like with everything else in life, there are good and bad online logo companies. You can`t just arbitrarily lump everyone into the same category. You have to do your homework. I used an online logo company to design my logo, and I`m extremely happy with the results. The company I used is called Biz-Logo.com, and I highly recommend their work. I definitely will be using them for all of my logo work from now on. 
    Just as an aside, the owner of Biz-Logo.com, Andre le Roux also does cartoon logos for anyone who`s interested. That website is called CartoonBall.com
    Dale KingDKing2/4/2008 12:52 PM
    With online logo companies, I`m sure that there are some homeruns.  On this particular online logo company they state that 98% of the folks love there logo.  That claim is persuasive.  They also have the backing of the Wall Street Journal, and have been written about in USA Today.  I just might be the only one in North America who didn`t LOVE MY LOGO. 

My complaint is that the logo concepts I recieved were far removed from the fantastic logos featured on the website.  Attempting to calmly work with them got me no were.  They offer lip service with no real action.  I must have spent 10 hours talking on the phone, filling out revisions, for nothing.  Know I get to devote some of my time to tell my expierence.  I was willing to pay something, but they wanted to keep the full amount. 

If anyone asked me about using any online logo service.  I would strongly persuade them to avoid it. 

If anyone asked me about using any online logo service.  I would strongly persuade them to avoid it. 

That`s utterly ridiculous!
    Dale King
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Partyman,
    If you are spending 10 hours on revisions, I don`t think that there is anything wrong with the company. I think that the problem is "YOU" and believe it or not, you might have pissed off someone.
    I`m pretty sure in the beginning they were treating you nice and with respect. Until you ticked them off. This is common with people that are cheap, they expect the best for less.
    My advise is! hire Camp Steve get the results you want but expect to dish out some cash.
    My Advise to cheap folks that don`t like to pay for services is, if your 35 cent bus fare can only take you so many blocks.... You best believe that you will only get 35 cents of my time, which is none... 35 cents is only good for jaw-breakers..
    Edgar, never have I said that the customer service side was bad.  This company was always there to take the call.  The disconnect was that the person you were talking to was not the designer. 

I learned that you can`t fix bad design.  What I think presents well and what others think presents well is highly objective.  I learned that no amount of revisions is going to fix something that you don`t like from the start. 

Edgar, you promote an under $800 dollar website.  I paid about that for some logo work.  How am I cheap, and the folks who call you for $800 website not cheap.  Do your customers "piss you off" when they don`t like your logo design. 
  • ginger84ginger84 subscriber Posts: 0

Hi,
    i`m so sad that everyone is using these online logo generators. designing a logo for your company is VERY important, you don`t want to
    leave it up to fate, you want to be actively involved in the process
    and making it come to life. i can help you.
    i am a graphic designer, with 5+ years of professional logo design. i
    currently work for an ad agency, where much of my work is in concept
    logo design and i spend much of my free time freelancing as well.
    i understand everyone is on a budget and wants to get as much as they
    can for as little as they can spend, so i can be flexible on costs. we
    can work something out together.
    check out my portfolio, and we can make a time to talk about ideas.   http://www.coroflot.com/gingerbryan
    thanks!