WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

A business to revitalize a city?

anomalyaanomalya subscriber Posts: 1
edited April 2007 in Business Planning
Hello my name is Anthony, I am new to Startup Nation and I live in Jackson, Michigan. Currently Michigan is the worse state economically and Jackson is considered one of the worse if not the worse city in Michigan. I see this as a great opportunity. There are all sorts of tax breaks, real estate(at low prices and being foreclosed on), people looking for employment, and many skilled unemployed workers in industrial type industries. Even though there is all sorts of unemployment people are still spending.I feel a college downtown would help revitalize Jackson. The first thing it will do is bring more businesses, people, and things to do into downtown. Then it will make Jackson a more desirable place to live which will bring more businesses because of all the people spending money and the breaks that new business will get. Its also a very inexpensive place to live so employees won`t cost as much. Its a win win for everyone we just need to focus on keeping the money in Jackson.My question is how do I help to bring businesses into downtown and revitalize the city. I am 19 years old and most people I know that are my age leave Jackson every weekend and go to bigger cities like Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo, etc. where bigger colleges are located and spend money there because Jackson just doesn`t have any nightlife especially for teens. I know that clubs, restaurants, and other businesses that cater to teens will do very well especially if we can bring them into downtown and keep them in one place.

Comments

• GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Yes... WOW!  I don`t have anything new to add as I think Brian and RaiseCapital02 are right on the money.  I just want to encourage you and commend you for not taking the easy way out and caring enough about your community to make a difference.  From your post it sounds like most people your age have one foot out the door already, but you sound like you embody the entrepenurial spirit in seeing opportunity where others see none.  You should feel right at home here at SuN!  I look forward to hearing great things about Jackson MI in the next decade.  Good luck!
  • anomalyaanomalya subscriber Posts: 1
    Thank you for your responses. I am working on a written plan of my ideas to organize myself and for something to show people when I talk about the initiative. I found a local business focused to help economic development in Jackson and I am going to contact them along with the mayor and local Chamber of Commerce once my plan is put together. With those 3 places I think we will be able to sculpt the plan and come up with more ideas of getting other people and businesses involved.
    If anyone has anymore suggestions please post them. Any advice is greatly appreciated.