WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Garment invention: licensing advice needed

mbradfordmbradford subscriber Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2009 in Developing Your Invention
I have a Provisional Patent for a garment invention and am feeling a bit stuck with my next step.  I`m feeling the clock ticking on my patent as well as seeing competitive(yet different) products coming out which validate the need for my product but let me know I need to hurry and get this out. 
So far I have a written explanation of the invention as well as illustrations of my garment in mulitple uses.  I am trying to figure out if I need a prototype and if so, my garment comes in several styles so am wondering if making one of each would be necessary. 
Part of me would love to try to start a home business but finances are extremely tight and loans are not an option right now so I think I must go the route of licensing.  If anyone wants to talk me out of that I`m all ears!  I don`t have a great concept of how much it would cost to run a home business for a product that would sell for about $20 each but am pretty sure it`s way more than I could come up with at this time.
So, assuming licensing is my best route and lets say I think Hanro or Calvin Klein would be companies that my product would fit well with.  After I have all of my marketing research and data, do I just call them and hope to set up an appointment?  I`m guessing I have to make a pitch over the phone but who might I expect to be talking with- would I ask to be transferred to a specific department?  I`m guessing the receptionist doesn`t want to hear it but can`t imagine it`s too easy to get a call back. 
Sorry for the long-winded question.  I have many, many more but this will hopefully get me some forward momentum!  Thanks for any advice related to this endeavor.mbradford1/22/2009 3:05 PM

Comments

• Options
    mbradfordmbradford subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    I appreciate the sage advice. It is challenging to not get carried away with worry that while I`m floundering about with something I know so little about implementing that someone who knows the game a little better or figures it out quicker will snatch it all away!  I recognize(with your help) the folly in this thinking and will try to slow my brain down and let it come a little more smoothly- so thank you!  mbradford1/23/2009 10:50 AM