WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Help making a business plan

griffgriff subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2008 in Business Planning
Well here I am all motivated to start a business, there is just one problem, I have never done a business plan before. Can anyone help? What is the absolute first thing that I should do? I already know what business I want to open, so what next???

Comments

• Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    griff,
    What is your intended purpose for the plan?
    Will you be using it as an internal guide/ road map?
    Do you intend to seek some type of external capital as part of the startup phase?
    Robert
  • Options
    StartUpSmartStartUpSmart subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi,

First of all I would suggest getting some help. However, that is a bit of a self serving reply since that is what my firm does. So, outside of that advice, I suggest clarifying what your personal goal for the business is and what you hope to accomplish first. Also, do you need funding for your business as this may shape the structure of your plan?

Please feel free to connect with me directly if you have questions. Good luck!!

• Options
    bellapriabellapria subscriber Posts: 1
    Definitely use the internet.  There are tons of sites to help you write one.  Also determine what you are writing it for like Robert said.  That will make a difference.
  • Options
    griffgriff subscriber Posts: 1
    I hope that having a plan will help me understand the do`s and don`ts along the way, all to many times I have seen businesses fail due to poor planning. I `d rather not be in that bunch! So, with that said, the most important thing (for me) is funding. That initial start-up cost. Do you need a business plan to get funding, i.e loans, grants? Obviously I go to a bank for a loan, but where do I go if  I am seeking a government grant? The bottom line is that my plan will serve as a road map for where I want to go. I you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks.
  • Options
    peter41peter41 subscriber Posts: 0
    What is your intended purpose for the plan?
    Will you be using it as an internal guide/ road map?
    Do you intend to seek some type of external capital as part of the startup phase?
    ==========================================================
    peterheins
    <a href="http://asciitech.com">asciisol</a&gt;
    peter418/20/2008 5:38 PM