WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Unique sauces and spice blends looking for market.

ChefChef subscriber Posts: 1
edited October 2008 in Business Planning
I`m new to start up nation, but have several products ready for the market.  My problem is getting it to market, distribution and financing everything.  I`m really the inventive type, not the "wear every hat" type.  My products are three unique bar-b-q sauces and six very unique spice blends.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to get started with growing my business and answer the multiple question I really have?

Comments

• Options
    shpbldershpblder subscriber Posts: 0
     I also have a spice blend that will work on everything and each ends up with a different tast on all. I have been giving it away for years now I would like to profit off the blend. So I guess we both have the same question on how to market and get started..
  • Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member

I`m new to start up nation, but have several products ready for the market.  My problem is getting it to market, distribution and financing everything.  I`m really the inventive type, not the "wear every hat" type.  My products are three unique bar-b-q sauces and six very unique spice blends.Can anyone point me in the right direction to get started with growing my business and answer the multiple question I really have?
     The first step is deciding what you want, because it sounds like you`re uncertain as to whether you want to commit to building a business and all that entails. There`s nothing wrong with that , it just means that you`d be better off taking a different path. With the direction established, the options that answer your questions become more readily available. 
  • Options
    In response to SHPBLDER, I can only say I appreciate your predicament.  It is not easy to find people willing to guide us in our endeavors, or provide aid along the way.  I am not sure I can offer you any particular advice as to how to either initiate or progress your product to market.  If you will read on, perhaps the following, which is in response to ROBERTJ, will be of some use to you.

Robert,  it is not that I am unwilling or not wishing to take on the commitments involved in establishing or running a business, since I have already done so in another venture and was successful.  I am all to painfully aware of the details involved with such enterprising.  What I was attempting to establish is that I have my weaknesses and am willing to admit to them.  I was further stating I was in totally unfamiliar territory within an unusual industry and having trouble navigating through its mazes.

I have since discovered the food industry is most unlike any other industry with which I have worked.  Financing is approached very cautiously, marketing is totally different than say marketing a new piece of audio gear.  The number of people and companies with which you must deal is nearly overwhelming and then there are the county, state and federal regulations with which you must deal.  This does not begin to prepare you for the labeling, trademarking and name registration hassles.  Having navigated through most of this I am happy to report that I have been able to find help through the individual who helped Paul Newman bring his products to market.  This individual now has his own company based out of LA and has taken on my products and further hired me as his company`s executive chef for research and product development.  Though we are still in the start up status our future is looking brighter.

SHPBLDER,  I truly hope this little piece will give you both encouragement and a little help.  ROBERTJ, I thank you for your comments, and also hope that my response addresses your concerns to your satisfaction.

The Chef.
  • Options
    KerryJSKerryJS subscriber Posts: 0
    Looks like you`ve found a way to move forward Chef.
    Shpblder, there are a few ways to go about it...or you can mix them up and do a bit of everything, but I would suggest starting with one or two and working from there:
    If you`re food industry knowledge is a bit shaky, g3et in touch with an organisation that can give you advice on label requirements etc. Try browsing products at your local deli, products in a similar line, but not direct competition. Get in touch with the makers and ask them about labeling requirements etc. Or contact a local business association to put you in touch with the appropriate place for labelling etc.
    You could check out local deli`s etc to start with and see if they`d be willing to put your products on their shelves, butchers too sometimes have sauces and condiments for sale. This way you could start with small supply, and check out the demand etc.
    Another way is to package it in such a way that you can offer it as a hamper or raffle prize at schools, preschools etc. Make sure your address, contact details etc are on the sauce. This will get you some local exposure, and at the moment I`m assuming you`re only producing small quantities.
    Online - you could start a website about the product while you`re finding out labelling and regulations so that you can sell online. (if you don`t have a website check out the "e business" page on my website.
    Start gathering information, jotting down ideas and bringing your thoughts together on where you want the product/business to go. Do you want to be the next Paul Newman, or would you be happy just selling a little locally on the side for now. Write down what it is that you`re looking for and this will help you focus on the next set of steps.
    Good luck
  • Options
    KerryJS:

Nice advice.  I would like to address just one point, labels.  Label requirements are a nightmare unto themselves.  The best place to get information about labeling requirements is directly from the approriate state agency and from the Federal Gvt.  Both these agencies have websites and you can download and print the regulations to wade through at you lesiure.  They are dry reading, full of requirements, right down to the print size and location for the nutrition facts.  Don`t forget the nutrition facts!

Hope this helps.

I`ll be out of touch for the next couple of weeks, but respond on.

The Chef
  • Options
    Thanks for your advice and will follow up. I have been giving out samples and have not had any complaints what so ever. I get feedbacks on when am I going to get it on the market.
  • Options
    I am getting it out there as samples with great feedback. Just need to get thru the paperwork.
  • Options
    infiniqueinfinique subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Try getting your neighbours to test it and give out free samples. Next attempt to sell some for money to have a proof of concept before going all out.