We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

S Corp: How to offset long-term capital gains

mdosh01mdosh01 subscriber Posts: 1
I was a non-passive partner in an S Corp for three years, then it was shut down in 2006.  I invested $5000 at the beginning (plus no salary, etc.).  Remaining money came from investors.  I "wrote off" the $5000 in the first tax year (sufficient losses).  The last year`s K-1 shows a small loss ($3000) plus approx. $14,000 long-term capital gain (partners all invested $25000 total personally and company sold for approx. $90,000 which went to the investors).  We received no cash personally as a result of the sale.  We had a loss each of the three years in business
How do I offset the capital gain on my personal taxes?  We have no short or long-term capital losses.  I have no "at-risk" investment beyond the $5000 already claimed.
I consulted an accountant who said I could use form 6198 but it appears that it also refers only to at-risk investment. Since the other money came from investors, that money is not "at-risk" for me. They were not personally guaranteed loans.  He said I left losses on the table and therefore I can use those losses to offset the gains.  But my review of the instructions for form 6198 and IRS publication 925 don`t seem to support that.
Do I have to take a hit for the the long-term capital gains on my personal taxes even though I didn`t "benefit" directly from it and we had losses all three years?  Yes, the company benefited.  Also, the investors received only 25 cents on every dollar invested.
A recommendation for a good accountant with S Corp experience in the Southeast Michigan area would suffice for an answer.  Thanks much for any replies.mdosh012007-3-30 12:7:9
Sign In or Register to comment.